Where is the chlorine (and CYA) going?!?!

jlt19

Aug 20, 2019
St. Louis, Missouri
There is something seriously wrong with my pool. I've been SLAMing it for two weeks now and I can't figure out what the problem is. Started b/c I was getting brown build up daily along the folds and such in the liner.

Initial stats:
FC: 5
CC:0
PH: 7.2
TA: 70
CYA: 60

NOW:
FC: 14.5
CC:0.5
PH: 7.6 (know it may not be accurate)
TA: 80
CYA: 30

Now, last summer I had a high CYA (around 140+ b/c of using tablets at first) and have hovered at 60 since opening in May (after winter and draining/refilling).

But now look at my numbers! How did the CYA drop so much? I've only done three backwashes since the SLAM started. I have added maybe an inch or so, and it has rained a lot. But that's a big loss, no? I've just assumed it's been 60 so I had been SLAMing to 24. So WAY more than I've even needed for mustard and still no luck!

To make matters worse, I cannot, for the life of me figure out how many FC's I'm ever adding. I don't know if it's inconsistency in the bleach (so far all has been 12% from same store, stored inside, day 162 of 2020). I've gone from getting as low as 12oz per FC or up to 25oz per FC (after retesting an hour later, in the same spot each time).

And NOW, my FC results aren't even accurate I think. I can use the same sample of water and get three different counts. I'm not an expert, but I've been doing this since last June and know what I'm doing. Getting it elbow deep, away from return/skimmer.

Steps are out. Nothing is in the pool or has been since Sunday. No people, only bugs and rain. There's not even any leaves falling in it. How can I be losing this much FC?! Just the past 24 hours has been insane. Remember, I thought I had 60CYA:

Lost 6F overnight W-Today (25.5 at 10pm)

6:30am: 19.5FC, lost 6 overnight (no rain); added 86oz

8:30am: 23.5

10:00am: 17.5; added 128oz

3pm: 14.5, so I lost potentially 10 in 5 hours on a partly sunny day?

We're heading out of town in an hour until Sunday night. No way will my dad test, but he'll add a gallon of bleach each day if I ask. ETA: none of the chemicals are expired. Brand new powder and the closest to exp is the FC reagent and that's 10/20. everything else is 2021 or 2022.

I've vacuumed daily, brushed every other. Ran the pump 24/7. Completely clear, minimal dead algae each day (less than when I first started). Pump pressure only went up when I added a bit of DE in the early days, hence the backwashing. Been normal ever since. WHAT could be happening?

Alright, back in town. We're under a heat advisory so I waited until shade to vacuum and then test. MUCH less light brown in the liner folds than I had been getting daily, so thinking mostly done killing the algae. More dirt in the center, but that's to be expected after three days of no vacuum or surface skimming.

Currently:
FC:7
CC:0
PH:7.4
TA:80
CYA:30

Thursday afternoon, FC was 14.5 and I added two gallons. My dad added another gallon Friday evening and one Saturday evening. I've been using 19oz/FC so over the three hot/sunny days, averaging 11.33 loss per day. Still not ideal.

Not sure if lowered cya has something to do with it, or still battling algae.

Guess I'll use my new SLAM target of 12 now and see what the morning holds.
I'm still confused about the CYA dropping so much. Can't figure out why.

Rain will take CYA faster than you think because so much water comes out of your pool, my CYA went from 80 to 30 in 2 weeks of rain, it will also take your salt away if you have a SWG, ask me how I know :) My salt dropped from 3800 down to 1700..

But because we test like we do I picked it up before my pool turned green, I did take it to SLAM levels for 48 hours just because.. (y)

The only other way to lose CYA and salt is a leak and that way can go fast also, you will need to do a bucket test to see...

With a lower CYA the sun is killing the chlorine faster than you can put it in, that is why we use CYA as its your chlorine sunscreen...

Reactions: jlt19
Guess I'll use my new SLAM target of 12 now and see what the morning holds.
I'm still confused about the CYA dropping so much. Can't figure out why.
That's it. :goodjob: Maintain that SLAM level of 12 until you pass all 3 criteria. As for the CYA test, did you also do that one in the shade? Remember the key points about CYA testing as noted below. Good luck!

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading. Finally, if you still doubt your own reading, have a friend do the test with you and compare results.

Reactions: jark87 and jlt19
What does your water look like? Got a pic?

CYA seldom drops in a pool even with rain. Say your CYA is 50 and you get 2" of rain.....your CYA will remain 50 as the 2" slowly evaporates over a week or so.

Now, say your CYA is 50 and it rains a foot and overflows your pool dumping 10 inches of water out of your pool. The average pool is about 4' in depth so you CYA is still roughly 75% of the original 50.....even with a VERY unlikely overflow of 10". In short, rain is almost never a reason for CYA loss.

The most common reason is testing error.....either on the first one or the current one. I suggest you do the CYA test carefully one more time and the result is your new CYA level and move on.

Your previous post indicate you may be trying to SLAM the pool but I am not sure you are testing and adding as carefully as you should be. Are you following the SLAM procedure precisely?

Reactions: jlt19
@duraleigh Pool has been completely clear the entire time. Started because when the pump turned on, I'd find a lot of brown spots along the folds daily even hours after vacuuming ( but never happened with pump off).

Can't snap a picture at the moment as of course it's raining (plants will be happy).

I feel like I've been following it precisely other than brushing every other day. My biggest concern is I cannot figure out how many oz/FC. It's not been consistent at all this summer. Anywhere from 12-25 oz/per FC. I always try to wait an hour+ before retesting.

8pm last night: FC 7; added 96oz.
9:30pm: FC 10.5 (27.42 assuming no loss?)
(I realize it wasn't 12 but I was exhausted from traveling and basically told myself that the am would be a new SLAM).

6:20am: FC 9.5, loss of one. Added 48oz
7:50am: FC 13 (so 13.71)

I had super high cya last summer (started with pucks) so definitely feel like an expert on performing that test. I've gotten 30 about 4 or 5 times now.

Where are you getting the decimal digits after you report your FC? That is confusing. Your results should look like this....

FC -
CC -
pH -
TA -
CH -
CYA -

Those decimal FC results in parenthesis don't mean anything to TFP.

No need to report CYA, CH, pH or TA since those are not relevant (and do not change much) during the SLAM.

So, your doses should look like this...

2:00 PM tested FC of 9.5 CC of.5ppm. Added enough FC to get back to 12 ppm

6:00 PM tested FC and got 8.0, CC of 1ppm. Added enough FC to get back to 12 ppm

@duraleigh Sorry, I don't typically put those but it was part of my issue of not knowing how much to add to get to a certain FC, because of the inconsistency I keep getting.

So last night it essentially took 27.42 oz of 12% bleach to raise one FC. (Took 96oz to go from 7 to 10.5).

But this morning it essentially took only 13.71 oz of the same bleach to raise one FC. (Took 48oz to go from 9.5 to 13).

Both a 1.5 hour time difference between tests and no sun. All had 0 CC.

I am not understanding why it's not a consistent amount to raise 1ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.