NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey @JoyfulNoise, I just watched the pH/TA video from a few days ago and found it super informative, so thanks for that! My chemistry education is limited to a few college classes and that was a lot of years ago, but I think I followed the basics, specifically the part about constant CO2 outgassing causing the corresponding constant pH rise. I also found some good articles which went into even more detail about Henry's Law and pH ceilings.

The outgassing discussion got me thinking about chlorine though. I know this talk wasn't about chlorine, but I'm guessing you can answer this one too.

The standard reaction both starts and ends with Cl-. It goes through various chemical processes along the way, notably becoming HOCl, which is then broken down by disinfection and/or sunlight. In a saltwater pool, the resulting Cl- goes back into the SWG, so from a chloride perspective it's a closed system.

But in a non-saltwater pool, what happens to the Cl-? When you put a puck in your pool or pour in some bleach, you're adding a certain amount of elemental chlorine. The same reactions happen... hypochlorous acid is formed and broken down, and you end up with Cl- as the stuff gets "used up." But instead of closing the loop, you just keep adding more pucks or bleach. Doesn't this constantly increase the amount of Cl- in the pool? If not, where does it go?

I think I read that high chloramines can cause some chlorine outgassing, but a healthy pool should have minimal chloramines. So if you're constantly adding more chlorine atoms to the water and the old ones aren't getting released as chlorine gas, I'm curious what happens to them.

All manually dosed pools will build up chloride content over time. Your pool basically becomes “saltier” with time unless there is significant removal of pool water an replacement with fresh water. In wet climates with lots of rain, the chloride flushes out with overflow. In cold climates where people winterize pools by removing lots of water and getting lots of winter snow melt, chloride levels stays at bay. In arid climates where pools don’t close, chloride content increases with time.

Every gallon of 10% liquid chlorine added to 10,000 gallons of pool water will eventually increase chloride ion level by 16ppm.

Chloramines mostly stay in pool water and eventually break down into nitrogen gas, nitrates, and chloride ion. There is no significant loss of chlorine via chlormaine formation and outgassing. That is a myth.

Reactions: drsipe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.