Where do you store your liquid chlorine and muriatic acid?

jalapenopopper

Jul 21, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m interested to learn where everyone that uses liquid chlorine and hydrochloride (muriatic) acid stores the jugs? How much supply do you buy at a time?

I had them on the side of my house and the center fumes have corroded metals nearby. I am moving them farther away but wonder, how far do they need to be in general? Would like to hear from some people that store jugs at their property.

Thanks.

I buy one crate of four 1-gallon jugs of each at a time. The jugs -- even the empty ones -- stay sealed except while I'm pouring. The crates are stored outside, in the shade, behind the fence that protects the equipment pad (well away from the house).

Reactions: jalapenopopper
Maybe I'm completely ignorant but how are you getting pipe issues and what not from sealed jugs? Mine sit outside the back patio door in their cardboard boxes.

MA outside, away from anything metal, jugs stored inside their own covered (but vented) container.
Liquid chlorine - in an inside, climate controlled, laundry room.

I buy MA in a 4 pack of one gallon refillable jugs, stored in a small plastic deck box by itself
When I was using liquid chlorine (SWG new this year), I bought two 4 packs (8 gallons) of one gallon refillable jugs, store in the air conditioned laundry room inside the house.

I put each gallon of MA inside a covered HD or Lowes bucket. If it out-gasses too much, the covers will blow off (so put them somewhere this will not be a hazard). In another application (cleaning mortar many years ago) I’ve seen MA eat right through the jug it was in and start weeping. My guess is given long enough, it would eventually do the same to to the covered buckets, so don’t just leave them forever unattended.

The chlorine is stored unopened in the jugs they came in.

That”s how I roll.

I've never needed MA so I don't have any stored.

I buy my gallons of liquid chlorine from Walmart in amounts of 6-9, or whatever it takes to keep a few week supply. Last year I nearly ran out and chlorine wasn't available locally but it was still hot enough for pool use. I don't want to go through that again. I store my liquid chlorine unopened in my basement boiler room (cool, dry). I currently have one gallon next to my pump because I'm opening the pool now and frequently adding / testing but I won't keep a gallon outside in the heat / sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I'm completely ignorant but how are you getting pipe issues and what not from sealed jugs? Mine sit outside the back patio door in their cardboard boxes.
They are vented jugs. So when it gets hot they can emit some vapor.

I had a bunch of shovels and such that corroded so much it looked like they Al were in the beach for years. Then the AC condenser fan motor rusting was a bigger pain, but learning lesson.

I loved them to the back corner of my yard. It gets a lot of sun but the jugs are inside big totes.

Yes, ac condenser fan motor and garden tools. But I bought too much acid a while back, so a larger quantity than average. I need to offload some onto my friends.

With jugs, I have to be very careful! The chlorine jugs and the MA jugs look similar. I've always kept 6-8 jugs of chlorine in stock even before the pool, as my aerobic treatments system eats 1-3 gallons per month. Our housekeeper loves to use chlorine, so it's stored where she can access, on a shelf in the garage. When it arrives in a box, she even re-stocks the shelf. Always been that arrangement with us, where I keep her well stocked with chlorine :)

I would hate for her or anyone else to mistake the jugs of MA. I store them outside, under a back of garage patio, and not near anything else. I've even thought of running a small bicycle cable through the handles together. Might seem extreme and anal, but could not imagine what would be the outcome if she accidentally mixed them up during an organization task.

Last edited:
Outside in Suncast all-resin (no metal parts) deck boxes. I sometimes store chlorine out there in the winter, but generally keep chlorine in the garage.

I rarely have more than 2 gallons of chlorine on hand (I have an SWG and only keep chlorine for quick FC tuneups before/after a pool party).

I usually have up to 5 gallons of MA on hand, that's the max that fits in that box on the right. Center box is for pool- and yard-related junk.

deck boxes.jpg

The MA bin fits 5 gallons. One of those in an all-plastic bucket. I only carry acid jugs across my deck while in the bucket. I place the bucket on the edge of the coping, lift the jug out over the water, dispense, then reverse. The jug itself is only ever over/in the bucket or over the water, NEVER over the deck. I still have the stains on my deck to explain why I'm so careful now. I learned that trick from my stone guru who works with harsh chemicals all the time. He never carries their containers directly over the stone/concrete he's working on.

IMG_3617.jpg

Reactions: KJB1 and SoDel
I keep my bleach and acid in a closet inside my house. I thought it’s best to keep them out of the heat and cold. But now after reading all these posts, maybe I should move them to the garage. I keep 1-2 of acid and 3-4 of bleach.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk
The MA bin fits 5 gallons. One of those in an all-plastic bucket. I only carry acid jugs across my deck while in the bucket. I place the bucket on the edge of the coping, lift the jug out over the water, dispense, then reverse. The jug itself is only ever over/in the bucket or over the water, NEVER over the deck. I still have the stains on my deck to explain why I'm so careful now. I learned that trick from my stone guru who works with harsh chemicals all the time. He never carries their containers directly over the stone/concrete he's working on.

View attachment 434567
I like that strategy

I keep my bleach and acid in a closet inside my house. I thought it’s best to keep them out of the heat and cold. But now after reading all these posts, maybe I should move them to the garage. I keep 1-2 of acid and 3-4 of bleach.

!!! If you mean together in a single closet, I would move and separate them immediately !!! Bleach and acid will make a toxic gas that can be deadly. Even if they don't spill/fall/get knocked over/have something fall into them, they have vented caps that can release vapors.

Personally I wouldn't keep acid inside at all, and ideally not even in a garage -- it's corrosive and doesn't degrade in heat, so keeping it outside away from other things is fine and seems safest. I'm more comfortable with chlorine in the house , but still need to be cautious about where and what else is nearby, including other cleaners. I kept mine outside on the other side of the pool deck before I put in an SWCG.

I came across this case of accidental spills/mixing: https://cen.acs.org/safety/consumer-safety/Accidental-mix-bleach-acid-kills/97/i45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.