Where do you source chems, specifically LC?

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
As a southern pool owner (TX) I pulled the trigger a number of years ago on a switch from pucks to LC. Just got tired of fighting high CYA and decided I'd rather be surprised by a 6 month CYA crash and pay more to run LC than deal with toggling back and forth (pucks to LC to pucks) to keep CYA below 100ppm. I'm largely satisfied, but I keep wondering if there isn't a better way to source pool LC?

My current source is 3-6 gallon boxes from HD or Lowes. The former is usually a little cheaper, but one or the other is constantly out of LC, so I go with whoever has it in stock. The price typically hovers around $4 / gal, currently $4.28. That isn't terrible, but it's obviously more expensive than buying a tub of pucks that'll last me a year. Side note, I have trees around my pool, so a gallon typically lasts about 2.5 days.

When I've price checked alternative sources they're all more expensive than HD/Lowes, probably because no one has the scale to ship heavy liquids at low prices. I know that commercial outfits source their LC commercially from chemical companies, often by the hundreds of gallons. Is there nothing in between? Is there some source I'm missing for 5+ gallon buckets of the stuff you could buy and use with a pump at the pad?

Interested in any thoughts.

Thanks,
rt

Austin and surrounds is pretty big - you could probably find a pressure washer service supplier. I've seen posts here on TFP saying that they get like 15 gallon drums of LC from these suppliers.

Reactions: rtilghman
Look up Poolsure. They will bring it to you, not sure the cost but they have large containers they supply and top off monthly.

$4.50 is not bad for LC. Tabs went up to about $150 plus for a 50lb bucket ( 99 tabs). We were told they are going up agian in Oct .

Austin and surrounds is pretty big - you could probably find a pressure washer service supplier. I've seen posts here on TFP saying that they get like 15 gallon drums of LC from these suppliers.
Exactly. That's what I do in Houston, $2/gal for 12.5% from Napco (they are in the TFP chlorine finder page too). I have 2-5gal carboys and get 10 gal at a time to use with my Liquidator. Where to find Liquid Chlorine - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
As a southern pool owner (TX) I pulled the trigger a number of years ago on a switch from pucks to LC. Just got tired of fighting high CYA and decided I'd rather be surprised by a 6 month CYA crash and pay more to run LC than deal with toggling back and forth (pucks to LC to pucks) to keep CYA below 100ppm. I'm largely satisfied, but I keep wondering if there isn't a better way to source pool LC?

My current source is 3-6 gallon boxes from HD or Lowes. The former is usually a little cheaper, but one or the other is constantly out of LC, so I go with whoever has it in stock. The price typically hovers around $4 / gal, currently $4.28. That isn't terrible, but it's obviously more expensive than buying a tub of pucks that'll last me a year. Side note, I have trees around my pool, so a gallon typically lasts about 2.5 days.

When I've price checked alternative sources they're all more expensive than HD/Lowes, probably because no one has the scale to ship heavy liquids at low prices. I know that commercial outfits source their LC commercially from chemical companies, often by the hundreds of gallons. Is there nothing in between? Is there some source I'm missing for 5+ gallon buckets of the stuff you could buy and use with a pump at the pad?

Interested in any thoughts.

Thanks,
rt

Are you buying bleach at HD and Lowes - i.e 6% stuff. It sounds like you are. I am not in your area, but I buy the stronger liquid chorine or "liquid shock" at Wal*Mart in season and at pool stores out of season. I find it to be cheaper, especially when accounting for strength, than at HD or Lowes.

Are you buying bleach at HD and Lowes - i.e 6% stuff. It sounds like you are. I am not in your area, but I buy the stronger liquid chorine or "liquid shock" at Wal*Mart in season and at pool stores out of season. I find it to be cheaper, especially when accounting for strength, than at HD or Lowes.
No, I'm talking about 10% pool LC (hypo), not washing bleach. Both HD and Lowes sell it by the box under the name "chlorinating liquid" in their pool sections (which is usually near the garden center), and they typically sell it as a a house brand (e.g., HD sells HDX) though lately both stores in my area have been selling 4-6 gallon boxes of "Pool Essentials" CL.

Note that they also typically sell it at a cheaper price than Walmart and MUCH less than pool stores (who generally charge $6.50 and up per gallon). They also sell it year round, at least here in the south where pools are open year round.

Last edited:
Exactly. That's what I do in Houston, $2/gal for 12.5% from Napco (they are in the TFP chlorine finder page too). I have 2-5gal carboys and get 10 gal at a time to use with my Liquidator. Where to find Liquid Chlorine - Trouble Free Pool
That's a pretty good deal, and I'm looking to install an automated feeder, but traveling to and from Houston - with 20+ gallons of chlorine in the back of my SUV - doesn't seem particularly practical or safe. I'd also probably blow most of my savings on the gas. :)

That list you linked is cool, but kind of impossible to use? I mean, the map markers don't open, so you have to scroll through 37 pages of comments to find the one address someone added in your area? Scrolling through the list most of them are also Leslie's, or HD, or Lowes, or some other store. Not a lot of lines on 10 gallon commercial suppliers. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: gregorygonzalez
Look up Poolsure. They will bring it to you, not sure the cost but they have large containers they supply and top off monthly.

$4.50 is not bad for LC. Tabs went up to about $150 plus for a 50lb bucket ( 99 tabs). We were told they are going up agian in Oct .
I've known about the shortages in the trichlor market, though I didn't realize the price had gone up that much. Makes me feel better about spending $600 a year on LC.

I'd assume almost anyone who "delivers" LC will be more expensive than HD/Lowes... the weight of the liquid makes shipping exorbitant. I think my only way to reduce cost is going to be to find someone local (who can do delivery cheaper) or find an industrial/commercial source I can pick it up in 5/10 gal buckets.

Ugh, what a pain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Found this in a search this evening, too bad I don't live near Syracuse IN, though I'm not sure how I would move (or where I would store) a 458lb drum of NSF grade chlorine. Does it come with a visit from the ATF?

The irony? It's still $4.18 / gal!!!

No, I'm talking about 10% pool LC (hypo), not washing bleach. Both HD and Lowes sell it by the box under the name "chlorinating liquid" in their pool sections (which is usually near the garden center), and they typically sell it as a a house brand (e.g., HD sells HDX) though lately both stores in my area have been selling 4-6 gallon boxes of "Pool Essentials" CL.

Note that they also typically sell it at a cheaper price than Walmart and MUCH less than pool stores (who generally charge $6.50 and up per gallon). They also sell it year round, at least here in the south where pools are open year round.

Here in the north HD and Lowes rarely carries LC, they just carry bleach, even in the pool section. They also only carry pool supplies in season. They get an initial stock of stuff in spring, and that is it. Whatever lasts them through the summer is about it.

I pay twenty or so bucks for 4 gallons of 12.5% sodium hypo here at the pool store

Makes me feel better about spending $600 a year on LC
Ooooof. I just bought a 60k swg and the controller for $1500. With a longer season it would only have to last 2.5 seasons to break even. You don’t have your signature filled out, but the break even point is between 12k and 15k gallons. With a 35k gallon pool I saw at least a 2X savings long term and never lugged or paid for *1* jug.

The controllers all last 2X-3x as long as the unit. The next time or two I will only need the cell making my ROI even better at well over 3X the long term savings.

I would pay double the long term cost of the chlorine production for the convienience of ‘needing chlorine’ and walking out back and pressing a button to get it.

Reactions: ccbill
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.