Chesapeake, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm curious to know where everyone dumps their skimmer contents. With an inground pool, just dumping in the grass/flower beds could result in it getting blown right back in. I have a 13 gallon kitchen garbage can that I use, but when it rains the can collects water becoming smelly and heavy. So I have to drag it to a covered area. I tried looking for a small garbage can with a waterproof top but can't find one (placing a flat board on top just gets blown off). Where do you all dump your contents?

Reactions: mommark
We are fortunate to have small yard in this case, it gets walked to the main house personal dumpster.
Is there a "safe" spot off to the side between the pool and where your trash gets collected before being hauled off, that you can keep that (a) trash can?

I've seen a few post that use the metal trash cans outside (weight & heavier lids)

yeah, the metal trash cans just don't look as nice. We are on a cul-de-sac, so our backyard is not very deep but very wide and more of a pain to get to the garbage cans. Almost forgot about the pole skimmer also that we need to dump.

yeah, the metal trash cans just don't look as nice. We are on a cul-de-sac, so our backyard is not very deep but very wide and more of a pain to get to the garbage cans. Almost forgot about the pole skimmer also that we need to dump.
This is only 7gal, but something like this? Hefty 7-Gal Textured Step-On Trash Can with Lid Lock and Bottom Cap, Multiple Colors - Walmart.com
or this one iTouchless Stainless Steel 13 Gallon Motion Sensor Trash Can - Walmart.com

I use hairnets in the skimmer and have started tossing them in the trash. Used to keep an old plastic bucket near by and would dump into it. The contents from the bucket would go to the mulch pile to get mixed in with grass clippings and such.

Also hair nets in the trash and raked material behind the nearest bush in the mulched area.

Hair nets are a great idea. Doesn't help much with pole skimming during pollen/tree shedding season though.

Splashpad, love that 7 gallon step on with lid lock. I'm going to check that one out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alternatively, you could put some drain holes in the bottom of the can. I've got a rolling trash can that the lid doesn't sit on very well, and when we had storms it would fill up with water. I put a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the bottom, and now it just runs straight through.

Reactions: Aleila
Great idea!! Maybe even put some screening material at the bottom to keep small particles from escaping. I just can't let it get too full where it would start to compost and smell.

Reactions: Aleila
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.