Where do I start?

I took the water sample from around the returns.... Yesterday was the first time I used the kit. Today was the second time... I followed the directions to a tee... I'd say it is what it is, I'll take another sample in the morning and post it.

3lbs should got you somewhere around 20ppm. You need to start using the pool calculator and dosing and testing more accurately or it is going to be difficult to get your pool correct and keep it that way.

FC : 8.5
PH: 7.2
CYA:40
CC: 0

Note: 5 days ago (after having water in the pool for almost a week), I added 1 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach. 1/4 of pool had to be drained/refilled. Refill was Saturday. Yesterday I added another 1 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach (family wanted to go swimming).

Question: I'm using both the Daily Test and Chlorine Drop Test. At this time, should I just be using the Drop Test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool test this afternoon
FC 5.5
CC 0
TA 130
Ph 7.2
CYA 40

As per Pool Calc, to lower TA I added 5 cups Muriatic Acid, and to raise CYA, added 5 lbs stabilizer

When do I add salt to the pool and turn on IC40?

When do you add salt to a new pool

New pool install with IC40 chlorinator. When do I add the salt and turn on IC40. I've been asking this under another topic for 2 days with no responses.

Re: When do you add salt to a new pool

Well, for a plaster pool you should wait 30 days, but for a fiberglass pool I see no reason to wait at all. Let the salt mix for 24 hours and then turn on the SWG.

Was it your own thread? Sorry no one answered.

The salt question WAS answered earlier in this post. My bust.

This afternoon:
FC 5
Ph 6.8
TA 90
CYA 70

yesterday, I added acid to lower the TA from 130, it is now still a bit high at 90. The ph has fallen to 6.8. Should I lower the TA first? Please advise. I don't plan on adding salt until I get the balance correct. The water is crystal clear.

Right now, I have cranked up the VS to 3k rpm to aerate. If I'm doing the right thing, how lond should I aerate before rechecking Ph?

Do NOT lower TA by simply adding acid.....it doesn't work. TA must be lowered by the process described in Pool School.

You will need to aerate to bring your pH back up and you should do so sooner rather than later.

Thanks, Dave, that is what I thought. I have a broken leg, e.g. it's difficult to get up and down, if you know what I mean. I understand that rain will also raise the ph, which we are getting a lot of lately. I've had to drain my pool down a couple of inches the past 3 days. I'll keep the water flowing and recheck in the morning.

Thanks again for the help. I used my IR compressor (T30)/hose rigged to a a piece of 3' x 2" PVC with holes drilled every 2". After running for about two hours at 20psi the ph came up to 7.4.

I added the salt as per calculations to get salt level to 3400ppm yesterday. Turned on IC40 and the ET panel is reading 4200ppm. I used a test strip and it reads 3600ppm. I called Pentair and was told 4000ppm is the cut-off.

Which should I trust? The strips I ordered with the TF100 or the ET?

BTW, I have the VS set at 800rpm, running 18hrs a day. IC40 set on 40%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.