Where did my salt go?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
Something very strange is going on. My salt levels were running low a few weeks ago, so I added a bag. My pump went out right before that, and my pool was down for about 2 weeks while I waited for the dealer to come out and replace it. Since the pump went out at the same time I added the bag, the new salt didn't get a chance to circulate through the equipment until I had it replaced, so I was getting a "low salt" error for two weeks. When I turned the system back on, my salt measured 3600 at the panel and the low salt notice turned off. Now two days later, it's measuring 2100 and my SWG has shut off. I just tried some older test strips I have that show it to be around 400 - I'm guessing they've gone bad.

My first thought was that I had burned through a ton of salt and superchlorinated the water. I've had the new pump running constantly for the last two days and I neglected to drop the SWG level, so it's been at 60% the whole time. I shocked the pool the morning of the new pump install, so that brought the FC way up. This morning it's at 10 ppm, so that's clearly not it.

What gives?

Salt only leaves the pool by draining water and replacing with fresh water. The SWCG does not 'use up' salt.

I suspect you have an issue with your SWCG controller. Do NOT add any more salt.

You need a proper salt test kit. The Taylor K1766 is the kit to get.

Read Hayward ProLogic - Further Reading for how to get the Diagnostics off the Prologic and post them here.

What pump did you get?

Go to the diagnostic screen, note the readings and then press the + button to reverse the polarity.

When the new numbers appear, see what they are.

Then, press + again and note the new readings

If the pump is on low speed and the cell is horizontal with the hump up, you can get air trapped in the cell.

What is the pump speed?

Maybe increase the pump speed and put the cell hump down to see if the salinity reading goes up.

Also, check the cell for scale and clean if necessary, but only if necessary.

Make sure that the filter is clean so that the flow is not restricted.

What reading are you getting with the K-1766 salt test kit?

It's low speed now, but I ran it at full speed when I first turned it on. It's possible I have some air trapped - I'll try that.

I just ordered that kit. I didn't think I needed it because the panel measured it. Wishful thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.