Where did my cyanuric acid go??

Ifly

Jan 12, 2016
Keller/Texas
I am a new pool owner with a new pool. I filled the pool and followed the procedures to "get the chemistry right". My plaster guy said not to add the salt for a while so I followed what the local pool store told me. All the levels were good, then after about four days, they said my CYA level was zero. My cl was also zero. I added some brand of shock that has a little CYA in it, a four days later they tested it again and CYA and cl were again at zero. The guy that was helping me is concerned something maybe masking it. He doesn't want me to add too much. They are very confused about were it could have gone. His first thought was I had a leak or maybe it was over filled, but the water level hasn't changed much at all. Any ideas? Should I add more CYA?
TIA

As you have been a member for over 2 years I assume you have your own test kit. Can you post a full set of results from it?

Also add a signature.

Take care.

I became a member to research pools. I've only owned one for a four weeks. I'm very green. Most of my research was build related. I'm so far behind.

- - - Updated - - -

I added something called pool start up. I think it was stabilizer.

Great that you found this so long ago but now it's time to start learning the chemistry :) get one of the recommended test kits ordered quickly before your pool goes sideways on you

Do you know how many "shock" packets were added?

Also please edit your signature to show the following information: size of pool in gallons or liters, pool surface (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass), pump size and brand, filter type, size, and brand, SWG if applicable, and any additional water features (waterfalls, deck jets, fountains, bubblers, ect), any automation or extras. Once added to your signature it will show up in every post and it will help us help you.

Can you put what SWCG you have? I assume an Intellichlor, but is it a IC20, IC40 ....?

When you get your test kit add it to the signature too.

Thanks.

Do you know how many "shock" packets were added?

Also please edit your signature to show the following information: size of pool in gallons or liters, pool surface (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass), pump size and brand, filter type, size, and brand, SWG if applicable, and any additional water features (waterfalls, deck jets, fountains, bubblers, ect), any automation or extras. Once added to your signature it will show up in every post and it will help us help you.
Not exactly I can figure it out tomorrow. I would guess eight pounds. btw currently testing zero

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Eight pounds of Dichlor in you pool added 32 ppm CYA to your water. So with a proper test kit, you can measure it.

It also added 35 ppm FC over time. That is, however, volatile and consumed by organics and the sun.

Can you put what SWCG you have? I assume an Intellichlor, but is it a IC20, IC40 ....?

When you get your test kit add it to the signature too.

Thanks.
It's the IC 40 but I'm not using it yet. I was going to add salt this week but I didn't know if I need to get the CYA thing figured out first.

- - - Updated - - -

Eight pounds of Dichlor in you pool added 32 ppm CYA to your water. So with a proper test kit, you can measure it.

It also added 35 ppm FC over time. That is, however, volatile and consumed by organics and the sun.
Sorry for my ignorance but I added eight pounds of shock over the past weeks. Is that what you're talking about?

Sorry for my ignorance but I added eight pounds of shock over the past weeks. Is that what you're talking about?

Yes - the pool store slang for Dichlor is 'shock'. Dichlor is fast dissolving chlorine with CYA.

Both of them are correct in fact some places also called liquid chlorine shock. So that is three completely different products that have the same name which is one reason we do not like to use that word in reference to a product.

I wanted to close this thread in case anyone finds it in a search. I added cyanuric acid again and it held. The first time I added it, it was in full sunlight. Which my pool has all day. I think It may have possibly burned off because of the sun? Secondly the girl at the pool store said to just pour it into my skimmers, so I did. I'm not sure if that matters but the second time I did the sock method. I also waited and did it in the evening when the sun was not shinning directly on the pool. This time I used the Clorox brand from Walmart which was cheaper than what the pool supply store sold me the first time. It worked great. Thanks for all the help. I Love this site!!

95% of cya loss is water replacement, zero from the sun

As a general rule, zero chems in the skimmer, zero listening to the pool store. Your cya in the skimmer went to a dead spot and sat there, then later gets backwashed out

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.