Where did my cya go????????????

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
My pool turned cloudy last week, when I tested it my cl was 0.5. I thought my swcg was not working, so I set it to super-chlorinate. Seems to be working, I can see it making chlorine.
My cya has been holding at 45-50, now it tests at 0.???
I read about the ammonia test, added 185oz 10%, and I still have 6.5 - 2 hrs later,
so that does not seem to be the answer.
So where did my cya go?
I use all Taylor tests, and everything is fairly fresh.
The guys at Discount salt water pools mentioned phosphates, but that tested 0 also.
Any thoughts?

The pool has been holding 45-50 since I installed the swcg in May.
Always at 30 when I was using jugs.
It tested 0 for the first time last week maybe? I just couldn't believe it was low. I wish I could have gotten those results when it was at 200+ several years ago. I drained the pool then to lower it.

CYA does degrade over time. Also, you live in an area that gets rain to the point the pool can overflow. So there will be some loss from that. I could see your CYA going from 50 to less than 30 (which the test shows as 0) in two or three months. The CYA degrades 10-15% each month during the summer, especially when the pool water temperature is in the upper 80's or warmer.

Thanks to mknauss and this forum for the help again.
When I first bought this house and pool, I had a continuing algae problem.
Once I found this forum, I realized my issue was cya over 200, and many trips to the pool store was not going to fix my problem.
I guess I got gun shy and didn't want to get too much cya after draining the pool to start over, so I let the cya get too low, and with 2 weeks of Florida sun and no rain or clouds, my SWG could not keep up. I just couldn't believe my cya was gone!?!
Anyways, we're good now with added cya and the week of slamming the pool. I don't know what I would do without the help from this forum.
Great place to be.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.