Where did my CYA go.

Pool Amateur

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Central, NJ
Ok, I opened late this year and had a green swamp. No worries I have done this before with great success thanks to TFP. So I checked CYA which was @ 40, checked PH 7.2 (which is where my water tends to be when I open) and of course no FC. Started the slam, it took 7 days to clear it up because I was busy and could only add a couple times a day and I also think I have a leaking Spider gasket which I will fix when I finish and deep clean the filter. So while not done total slam as I do not have all my equipment in when I do the final I let the FC come down below 10 so I can test again and get everything dialed in so I a can start up SWG. I tested the CYA and I tested below 20. I did have to backwash 2X during the slam but I did not think it should drop it that low, so where did my CYA go or did I make a big mistake in testing, but the 40 was very positive when I tested it and I can see the dot at 20 now, Any ideas?

A drop of CYA from what appeared to be a rock-solid 40 to something low is a bit odd. The two backwashes wouldn't result in a 20 ppm loss, but combined with other variables could. I wouldn't try to over-analyze it too much now. At this point, if you're sure the CYA is low, give it about another 10 ppm worth of stabilizer to help ensure you're back to at least 30 ppm.

I agree Texas Splash, My pool is clear and looks good but I am burning Chlorine much faster than normal during the day so I am going to add some CYA and retest but it is not unusual from what I read for it to take a week for it to register and By then I was planing to add CYA to bring it from 40 to 70 and turn on SWG. I am going to put the ladder and equipment in and bring it up to slam level in a few days to be sure the equipment does not introduce any algae. Then bring it up to 70 CYA add the salt I need bring TA up to 100 which will Bring PH from 7.2 to 7.5 and sit back and relax and enjoy the summer. Just curious how I went from 40 to less than 20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.