When to use the bleed air valve

Apr 18, 2018
Lakewood, OH
Our pool built 2 months ago and have a question.

I've noticed that when the pump is running and we bleed all of the air out of the cartridge filter, there will be no more air to bleed as long as the pump continues to run. When the pump stops at night and starts again in the morning, there are a few bubble that come out of the jets for a few seconds and if we open the valve on the filter, there's air and we have to bleed it for a few seconds (around 10 seconds). We have a Pentair cartridge filter. Is this normal or should there never be air in there?

There's always water in the pump basket after the pump is off and no air bubbles.

I applied some silicone lubricant to the cartridge filter and pump gaskets this morning, wondering if there was an air leak there. I'll see what happens. I don't see water leaking from anywhere.

mm,

In theory, when the pump shuts off the water should stay in the filter and not drain back into the pool.. Sounds to me like you have a very small air leak.

I suspect right at the air relieve valve.. Since the pool is new, I would ask the pool builder to fix it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Our builder has been less than responsive, but I told him about it. It will likely take weeks to get him out to look at it.

Would a leak at any of the plumbing connections/fittings cause that to happen? I would assume if there was a leak there, we'd see dripping water. Hoping it's near the release valve like you mentioned because that's an easy fix.

It's strange, because all was working fine (as far as I know), I just happened to notice the last few days there's air in the filter when it starts up.

Other than water not getting filtered properly, is there any risk to the equipment if there's air in the filter? Asking in case I forget to bleed it in the morning and to determine the urgency of the repair.

mm,

If the filter has a little air in it, the world will not end... As long as it is not blowing out into the pool it is not a big deal..

It is more of an aggravation than a problem.

I've see a couple of times where the air valve would allow air to leak in when the pump is off, but not let any water out when the pump was on... This will not happen at a plumbing joint.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.