When to start getting bids?

ivparker

Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2016
Byron Center, MI
Hi. Im somewhat new to this forum. Just lurked mostly. A few years ago we decided to put a pool in but then decided our house was too small (we have 9 children) so we should find a new one. We found one with an amazing pool, so came back on here to start learning. But we ended up choosing not to buy that house....long crazy story of crazy owners. Anyways, we bought a different new build house and at first thought we wouldn't get a pool, we were suppose to spend this much on a house with a pool...but now we are thinking of putting one in next spring/early summer. We just can't get the thought of a pool out of our heads. :) Is it too early to start getting bids for it? We are not ready to even put down any money on it until early next year...should we wait. At the same time, I have an idea of how much I think its going to cost, but it would be nice to have some hard numbers so we know if we can even do this. We have a slight slope in our yard and aren't sure if we are going to need a retaining wall which I know can add up quickly in terms of cost. Also we are in Michigan, so it would be hard to get bids in the winter. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Not too early to begin discussions with pool builders. You have a short build window in your area. The good PBs will be booking 2020 soon. If you wait until the Spring of 2020 you may not get anything done until late in the year.

+2 Kim and AJW

And budgets get blown very very quickly. Upgrades make all the sense in the world at build time. Most people dont want to come back just a few years later to finish/expand the project. There is also nothing wrong with those that do wait and build in stages. It might help you plan accordingly if you get a solid idea of how far over budget you'll end up. We went with a bigger pool at the last minute. It was a $500 upgrade. The bigger patio and fence never crossed my mind until i shopped those after the fact. They were $6k more once we were already over budget. Whoops. With more time to spend planning you can catch those errors before they happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.