When to replace sand in filter?

Short answer=never.

Long answer=you can deep clean your sand. Here is a link to show your the basics: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Now saying that IF you have ever used any kind of floc or such you might need to change the sand due to the floc gumming it up. You will know if that is the case when you open it up. If the sand is all clumped together and you cannot break it apart then it might be time to change it.

Kim:kim:

I understood that the sand loses its sharpness over time (5-7 years depending on use of course). Once the sand grains become rounded they lose their filtering efficiency.

I changed mine after 10 years - was in the process of moving the filters location and was too heavy to move so had to remove the sand anyway. Sand is cheap and cleaned it all out and put new sand in.

We've heard this
I understood that the sand loses its sharpness over time (5-7 years depending on use of course). Once the sand grains become rounded they lose their filtering efficiency.

I changed mine after 10 years - was in the process of moving the filters location and was too heavy to move so had to remove the sand anyway. Sand is cheap and cleaned it all out and put new sand in.

We've heard this, but if that were the case, all the sand on the beaches around the world would be tiny round beads, as it takes a lot more abuse than anything a filter can dish out. There are microscopic pictures of sand out of a filter after many years of use and new sand on the site, and you can't tell the difference. As Kim said, unless you've added something to the water that causes the sand to gum up or cement together, a good deep cleaning is all it ever needs.

I understand in the case of having to move the filter needing to remove the sand, and if you just wanted to replace it at that point that's your decision. :)

Thanks all.

Intresting video about the deep clean, never seen that before, only issue is my pool equipment is in a pool room in garage, it would make an awful mess if I tried that method!

I do backwash regularly though. I notice the if I brush the pool floor it throws up fine dust... what would be the best method to remove this? I was thinking of adding some kind of sock filter over my return however I am unable to do this as it is flush against the pool wall.

Last edited:
We've heard this

We've heard this, but if that were the case, all the sand on the beaches around the world would be tiny round beads, as it takes a lot more abuse than anything a filter can dish out. There are microscopic pictures of sand out of a filter after many years of use and new sand on the site, and you can't tell the difference. As Kim said, unless you've added something to the water that causes the sand to gum up or cement together, a good deep cleaning is all it ever needs.

I understand in the case of having to move the filter needing to remove the sand, and if you just wanted to replace it at that point that's your decision. :)
What about the o-ring seal leaking a little? I have no unions on the pipes to my filter, so I would have to cut them. My sand filter is 13 years old and has never been touched since it was installed. I understand you saying the sand doesn’t need to be changed, but should I worry about taking it apart to replace the O-ring? Like I said there is a small leak from the bottom of the multi-valve, but not enough to really bother me unless it could cause bigger problems.

You do need to pull the multiport valve off for leaks, to check the sand bed level to ensure you aren't losing sand, and deep clean the sand if it needs it. I'd cut the plumbing and add unions so it could you can fix and/or inspect it.

1. Backwash the filter so you are starting fresh
2. With the system running,
3. Dump a double-handful of fine dirt in the skimmer
4. Watch the water returning into the pool
5. If a brown stream of water comes out the inlets, either you need a sand change or something else is wrong.
6. If it stays clear, don't change your sand, it is doing its job. It ain't busted, don't fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.