When to Install an Automation System?

notime2work

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2018
Tulsa OK
Moved from here.. Pentair: EasyTouch vs. IntelliTouch (Jim R.)

We are in the process of deciding on all our options for our future build, and I am interested in the automation. Is the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic something that can easily be added at a later date? We are trying to stay within a budget (yeah, I know) and if we could bump a couple of thousand into the next year, it might be a plus. However, if it is something that is less expensive to do during the initial build, it might be better for us to go ahead and bite the bullet now.

nt2w,

You can certainly add an Easytouch later, but there are some issues..

The time to do it is when the pool is originaly being built.

One problem is the pool light(s)... Without an automation system the lights will be wired to a switch, which may or may not be at the equipment pad. It might be impossible to rewire to the EasyTouch without digging up 50 feet of new deck.

You may want to mount the ET in a particular spot, but the standard cables are only about 15 feet long, so unless you think about it ahead of time the equipment pad may not be in the right position.

The ET (Real ones, not the lite version) all come with a load center for all your circuit breakers.. It you add later, you will have a circuit breaker box as well as the ET, just does not have that professional look that you might want.

Not sure if you plan to go with a Salt System or not, but if you are, you can buy a ET with the built-in SWCG power supply. This means that the cell is installed into the plumbing when the pool is being build. Pool builders are very good at cramming a lot of stuff into a small equipment pad.. they often do not leave any room for a SWCG.

Usually when you buy the equipment from your pool builder, it is all covered under a longer warranty.. (But of course it costs more..)

I have installed two Pentair systems (EasyTouch, IntelliFlo, and SWCG) at a couple of rent houses which already had pools. When I had my pool built, I had the equipment installed by the pool builder. Even though it costs more, I recommend that you have the equipment, including the ET, installed during construction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you so much! I definitely would want the lights to be controlled as well. We are getting a SWG system, so this would be a benefit also. I appreciate your quick response. Now, another question related to this -- can the wireless part that is controlled by the phone be easily added after the fact or should it be done at the same time?

nt2w,

Yes, ScreenLogic is something that can be added later. A pretty easy DIY thing to do..

See this link for what you need... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

If you plan to get a SWCG, make sure you get the EasyTouch with the built-in salt power supply. Something like this one.... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520705

The exact one you want may be different, as it depends on if you have a spa or not, and how big your pool/spa is going to be in gallons...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. I sent the PB a link to the Easytouch with the IC60, as we have decided to use the IC60. No spa, no bells and whistles, no waterfalls. The pool will be approx 20,000 gallons. Maybe I'll buy myself the ScreenLogic for Christmas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.