Apr 3, 2021
Northern Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone!

I discovered a small leak under my skimmer, on the outside of the pool wall... I'm assuming the gasket is done. I ordered a new skimmer (Hayward Dyna Skim 1091WM) because it was on sale, and then of course I started to read up on it and the process seems more difficult than what I expected. I'm worried I might cause more issues than what I currently have.

The leak isn't aggressive, so I was wondering if there was an alternative to full replacement (that could hold out till the end of the season hopefully). Would adding a waterproof caulking alongside the pool wall/under the skimmer piece work temporarily? Or pool putty on the inside under the faceplate? If I go this route, how easy is it to remove those additions when I do replace the skimmer?

Thank you!
Haley

Based on the rust underneath, I'm guessing the leaking has been going on for a while. Any silicone you try to apply under that skimmer will probably just make the water go elsewhere. If the metal isn't too far damaged from rust, replacing the gasket would probably be idea, but as you said that can open up a new can of worms. Once you pop that faceplate off the liner, things get dicey. Do you know how old the liner (and pool are? Age can be a big factor as well.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Based on the rust underneath, I'm guessing the leaking has been going on for a while. Any silicone you try to apply under that skimmer will probably just make the water go elsewhere. If the metal isn't too far damaged from rust, replacing the gasket would probably be idea, but as you said that can open up a new can of worms. Once you pop that faceplate off the liner, things get dicey. Do you know how old the liner (and pool are? Age can be a big factor as well.
I had a feeling..... according to the old home owners, the pool was originally purchased in 2006 and liner was replaced in 2015

• Sad
Reactions: Texas Splash
You will need to get on that rust when swim season is over. Plan on replacing or patching the liner, even though it is not very old. Liners can dry out and shrink after they have been drained, and the odds of your skimmer matching the old cut and screw holes are small. Sand the rusted area down to bare metal inside and outside the pool wall. Paint with rust inhibitor. If you lose a some metal in the process you may need to make a metal patch as well.
More information about repairing a rusty pool wall here: Advanced Wall Repair for an Above Ground Pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you drain to repair that (what you should do) inspect all the wall, specially below the skimmer as you likely have rust in the liner side of the wall.

When it comes to repair you can also possibly purchase a stainless steel service panel for that area if its too bad to repair.
inyo pools can help u figure out what you need

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everyone has great suggestions and thats what I was going to do, but at the end of the season! I'm hoping to get an idea of epoxy or sealant for the inside under the face plate just as a temporary fix for the next few months to prevent the water loss

Usually the leak at the gasket especially the butterfly types. No good way of sealing that off as it's a pressure seal using fasteners. If the water is kept just below skimmer its highly unlikely the liner would move for an inspection to see what's up of that's the worry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.