Rogers, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am towards the end of a SLAM after opening for the spring. I did an OCLT last night and there was less than 1.0 difference in FC this morning with .5 CC. My question concerns the clarity of the pool; the shallow end is clear but there is some haze in the deep end (8.5 feet). I can just barely make out the bottom and the main drain but it is not clear. I will try another OCLT tonight; if it passes can I let the FC drift to non-SLAM levels and let the filter clear out the haze or do I need to keep the SLAM going until the pool is clearer?

Last edited:
SLAM calls for crystal clear water, but IMHO if you pass OCLT, you might try shutting off your pump a few hours to see if the dead algae settles to the bottom. Have you done a deep clean of the sand filter??

Felipe

Sounds like you hafen't met all 3 criteria for SLAM completion.

Really no use doing an OCLT to finish the SLAM until the water is clear. You should be able to clearly see the main drains - and be able to tell what type screws are attaching them. Try maintaining SLAM levels for another day or two to see if it clears up.have you been brushing at least daily? Have you checked for algae behind any removable lights, ladders, steps?

Stopping before the water is clear is just asking for a relapse. See it through to completion. Remind yourself that this may be the last SLAM you ever need to do so do it right.

As your FC loss is fairly low you might consider adding some DE to the filter to help speed the clearing along a bit. Sand filters can be a bit slow on clearing things up, but still keep at the SLAM. A pool isn't safe to swim in if you can't see the bottom of the deep end, so there is no reason to drop the FC at this point regardless.

You are running your pump 24/7 right?

I have found it usually takes 2-3 days of the pump run non stop to go from cloudy to crystal clear.
And this is with sand filters.

You're almost done, but not quite until that water is clear and the OCLT passes.

Thanks to all for your replies. I will just keep on with the SLAM until I get better water clarity. The pump has been running 24/7 and I have been brushing and vacuuming. The water looks very good except for the hazy deep end; I know I am very close to finishing. We moved in to this house late fall last year and I was not able to get the pool balanced before the threat of a freeze; my only choice was to close the pool and deal with the green swamp in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.