When to add Cyanuric acid to new SW pool

Beh162

May 21, 2021
New York
Pool Size
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
My pool is just about filled for first time. SWG is out for delivery and per instructions i’m to run the sand filter 24 hours with the salt in the pool before turning the SWG on.

In the manual it says I should add 2lbs of cyanuric acid for startup , but I’m wondering do I add that during the first 24 hour cycle or after I’ve run it for 24 hours and switching the SWG on?

You can add the stabilizer using the sock method as soon as you get pool filled and pump running.

Do not pour the stabilizer into your skimmer.

If there is no CYA in the pool water, time to add 40 ppm worth. Then after that is dissolved (use the sock method) test the next day and add the balance to get to 70 ppm CYA.

Use liquid chlorine to keep 3 ppm FC in the water until the SWCG is generating.

I have the Intex skimmer basket so I would put the needed CYA into the sock and leave it right in that basket while the initial 24 hour filter cycle is going?
Just to add I haven’t received my TF-pro testing kit yet, so I can’t do any water tests until it’s delivered :(

Yes on the CYA.

No problem. Wait until you have the kit to test the CYA or add more after the initial amount.
Add 3 ppm FC of liquid chlorine every day until you get our kit.

Looks like my SWG delivery is delayed, possible Monday. (No salt poured in pool yet)
Do I still proceed with running sand pump and adding CYA & 3ppm of liquid chlorine every day until I can add salt and start that ?

Do I still proceed with running sand pump and adding CYA & 3ppm of liquid chlorine every day until I can add salt and start that ?
Yes. You need to keep the water chlorinated or it can turn green with algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.