When should I try balancing pH and TA after SLAM?

JRzMom

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2021
Malta, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I passed the OCLT test last night; the water is clear, and no algae is visible. Yay! Just in time for the holiday weekend. When do I start balancing TA, pH, and CH? I suspect I need to wait until my FC is in line with Pool Math recommendations. Current test results attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524_074615.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524_074615.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 10
With your FC at 11 the pH test might be a bit off, but with it reading that low I wouldn't wait to bring that up to at least 7.2. Preferably with borax since your TA is already on the high end and soda ash will raise it higher.

As for TA, no need to mess with it directly. It's not hurting anything and is the most "whatever your pool is comfortable with is good" measurement we test for.

I wouldn't mess with your CH. An electric heater shouldn't mind the soft water and your liner doesn't care.

Great job passing the OCLT! :thumleft:

Reactions: JRzMom
I would leave your pH alone and check it for the next few days.

With a TA of 100 the pH will rise naturally.

Reactions: JRzMom
With your FC at 11 the pH test might be a bit off, but with it reading that low I wouldn't wait to bring that up to at least 7.2. Preferably with borax since your TA is already on the high end and soda ash will raise it higher.

As for TA, no need to mess with it directly. It's not hurting anything and is the most "whatever your pool is comfortable with is good" measurement we test for.

I wouldn't mess with your CH. An electric heater shouldn't mind the soft water and your liner doesn't care.

Great job passing the OCLT! :thumleft:
I'm going to wait a day or two, as ajw22 suggests. The pH test was ambiguous. It may have been closer to 7.2. I also need to add water, which may change things. In the meantime, I'll get some Borax. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Donldson