When should I expect my stone coping to be sealed by my PB?

TexasDedHed

Jul 27, 2021
Awesome, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone,

We are curious about this, and I have a few questions but first some info:

We broke ground in early December. Stone coping (I'm still trying to find out what kind of stone it is) was installed Feb 4 2021. It's now Aug 2021 and it just looks kinda crappy. Yes, that means we had gunite poured and the coping on it when the famous Texas freeze happened in mid Feb.

The pool has been "90% done since around March they've said, but we have a punch list of items that are waiting to be completed.

Don't beat me up for dumb questions!

-Is this actually concrete? They cut it from a stack of flat, uniform thick, uniform colored planks
-You can see the first pic is the day after it was finished, and it's all the dirt that obviously had to do with the stains... Are the current discolorations because of that original unswept dirt?
-Do pool builders usually seal it? It was never discussed but they're also very scatterbrained and perhaps our project mgr is a bit new to the game.
-What would cause the holes/pitting in places? is that natural aging? Can you see where someone at some point (not us) put epoxy I think in some of the larger holes?
-SHOULD it have been sealed shortly after it was put in, either by them or me?
-Am I just stressing about something as small as some dirt that will clean out?
-Would sealing it after a solid pressure washing help it to look newer?
-Would the freeze have anything to do with it?

AE2DC845-D02F-4EE5-9916-BC9D4FC1F9DC_1_105_c.jpeg92481199-C5DF-4005-8CE8-804C220EC325_1_105_c.jpegEF84C386-6C0B-446D-8DBC-A9F74A52B464_1_105_c.jpeg3B66220D-C539-44FC-9D2D-FD925D6A0563_1_105_c.jpeg91B11612-156B-4906-BB31-71479510C34A_1_105_c.jpeg572F3CBD-4AE8-4674-90A0-631DF36F62FE_1_105_c.jpeg6D2B399B-7192-43E2-8D84-30E5069BB1B2_1_105_c.jpeg

Any thought or answers are appreciated!

Ded,

I would have assumed it was poured in-place concrete coping, until a read that it was cut from other pieces.. It does not appear to be stone, but concrete.

I doubt that have any intention of sealing it.. That said, this is something that you have to talk over with your pool builder.

What does your contract say about the type of coping you should be getting??

Let's see what @jimmythegreek has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TexasDedHed
Ded,

I would have assumed it was poured in-place concrete coping, until a read that it was cut from other pieces.. It does not appear to be stone, but concrete.

I doubt that have any intention of sealing it.. That said, this is something that you have to talk over with your pool builder.

What does your contract say about the type of coping you should be getting??

Let's see what @jimmythegreek has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Well that’s what’s so strange. It was supposed to flagstone coping but they realized it couldn’t be done because it isn’t protected by decking on a section that’s about 10 feet long- they were nervous it could wear poorly there or chip or break off without the added support of decking on one side.

so they had to change plans and installed this “grey stone” coping and gave us free flagstone for the whole deck due to the error.

here’s a pic of them installing it- you can see in the background the cut pieces leaning against the retaining wall. They were definitely cut. And yes they def came from a stack of identical pieces probably 3’x5’ in size

B043313A-12EE-438F-89AF-E2DB32C02F83.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.