DASTEELERS

May 23, 2021
Annapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just opened. New pool owner. FC .87 TC 1.09 CC .22 PH7.3 HARD96 ALK60 CYA 33 . When do I stop fine tuning the numbers ? I dont want to be anal about chasing these numbers. But I need to have it safe for the young grandkids. I couldnt look myself in the mirror if they got sick because of me. I have been blessed to have found this website early and the awesome people... Thanks

Just opened. New pool owner. FC .87 TC 1.09 CC .22 PH7.3 HARD96 ALK60 CYA 33 . When do I stop fine tuning the numbers ? I dont want to be anal about chasing these numbers. But I need to have it safe for the young grandkids. I couldnt look myself in the mirror if they got sick because of me. I have been blessed to have found this website early and the awesome people... Thanks
Yes it is a blessing you found this site! In 2018 I was a new pool owner, and I had such a hard time with my pool I hated it! Found this place in spring of 2019, and now my pool maintenance is a breeze and I love my pool.

Ditch the test strips. Those things are awful, and were one of the biggest reasons for my problems in 2018. Use your good testkit and good test results (make sure your reagents are still good, how old is the test kit?).

TFP will make your life easier with the pool, and ensure your grandkids are swimming in perfectly balanced pool water!

Ditch the test strips.
I agree. Reagent / drop testing is far more accurate than those strips, despite what the store might say to the contrary. The taylor kit you have is a good one. If your levels are in acceptable parameters, the water is then safe for swimming. It's easy to be (as you put it...anal) as to chasing numbers and trying to micro-manage. I tend to do that during the off season partly due to worrying about either scaling or etching of the plaster. Once you have your numbers, you can use a site such as this one to calculate your saturation index. Happy swimming!!

FC .87 TC 1.09 CC .22 PH7.3 HARD96 ALK60 CYA 33 .
If you are testing with a Taylor kit.. those don't look like the numbers from it.. either way.. based on what you posted
You need to bring your FC up to something in the range of 5-7 for a CYA of 40 based on this chart:FC/CYA Levels That is unless the water is cloudy or green and you need to SLAM Process.

Please post numbers from your Taylor kit, that will allow us to better compare information from a kit we understand. If those are pool store results, understand they are wildely variable. Perhaps they are correct perhaps not. We trust numbers you test for more. And we'll go from there.

We'd be glad to help but those test results don't look like they are from your K-2006. Do you have those Taylor test results?
Thanks Tex ...Results from very large pool store. Taylor kit being delivered in next 2 days by Amazon. If it was the post office I might be sweating it. Still getting Christmas cards. I have a liquid kit that came from Ionizer company people. Doesnt have cya or chlorine so I decided to order a better kit. Right now I am stuck with pool stores machine for accuracy. I am hoping Ionizer will help with limited chemicals. I also know what peoples opinions are of them for outside pools. But I see them in large commercial settings and my pool has a couple extras that makes it almost like an indoor pool. I dont get the debris and the sunlight/wind exposure that a standard outside pool gets because I have a pool cover that is only opened for swimming hours. Ionizer company Carefree also likes the cya alk ph and hardness to be on the lower side of the standard range. But I am looking at these numbers and I know I can probably add a cup or 2 of bleach BUT asking should I bump my ALK up 15 and my HARD up 100 or is enough .. enough ??

In that case, I would just focus on adding some liquid chlorine, about 1/4 gallon each day. I wouldn't try to adjust anything else until your Taylor kit arrives. We can get into the ionizer discussion and sanitation later. :)

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
I would just add LC at 5 ppm for your pool until your Taylor kit arrives. Lets call your CYA 40 for now. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

That chart is your friend. At 40 CYA, your minimum FC is 3 ppm, and recommended is 5-7. Since you have that cover you probably do not need to add too much but I will let one of the experts weigh in,

Once you get your kit you can post a full set of test results and Texas Splash the rest of the experts will get you fixed right up!

1st taylor reading. PH 7.4 FC 1.8 CC .1 OR .2 HARD 120 ALK 60/70 CYA PROBABLY 35 . AFTER TESTS got out of pool and added a quart of 7.5% clorox and closed the cover for the night . 1.85hp Pump runs 24hrs .12 hrs day at 50% and 12 at night 37.5%

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.