When and how to add chemicals

1) Yes. That's what I do.
2) Sounds like you have it figured out.I suppose you could keep fixing it until it breaks.
3) Change the timer so it's on some when you're home. If it's an Internatic mechanical clock, you can buy extra trippers and set it up to work a split shift, even.

Reactions: OscarB
So I went on vacation and used the the chlorinator for the first time. The pool stayed crystal clear but my chlorine level is too high. My numbers are below but is it safe to swim if pool math recommends between a 1-4 chlorine level and I am at a 7?
==========================================
Oscar B’s Pool o’ Fun!
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 7.0 (14 hours ago)
CC: 0.5 (14 hours ago)
pH: 7.6 (14 hours ago)
TA: 100 (14 hours ago)
CH: 150 (14 hours ago)
CYA: 5 (14 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 84° (14 hours ago)
CSI: -0.16 (14 hours ago)

You cannot measure a CYA of 5 -- how did you get that number?

If the CYA test has the dot get cloudy but does not disappear, add 20 ppm worth of CYA using the sock method.

How many pucks did you dissolve into the water?

Great keeping up the chemical balance while on vacation. Now you can swim without worrying about algae bloom.

Just an FYI: Calcium is not needed in your pool since you have a vinyl liner. You probably don't even need to test it. Only when you want to know your beginning numbers.

Great keeping up the chemical balance while on vacation. Now you can swim without worrying about algae bloom.

Just an FYI: Calcium is not needed in your pool since you have a vinyl liner. You probably don't even need to test it. Only when you want to know your beginning numbers.
I was told I need it for my steps (wedding cake style) and my filter equipment. Is that not true?

I was told I need it for my steps (wedding cake style) and my filter equipment. Is that not true?
I don't think it's true. I have not added calcium for many years and we've not had a problem with our steps (similar to yours), our filter system, nor our natural gas heater. You put calcium in a plaster or cement pool so it won't pull it out of the walls. Can't happen with a vinyl liner. Hopefully an expert can confirm this too.
@mknauss
@Richard320

Are the stairs fiberglass? Some believe that fiberglass needs a low level of CH in the water to keep it from oxidizing. But if the stairs are white, I doubt you would notice.

For the equipment, no. Some heater manufacturers state the need for a certain level of CH based on long held parameters from steam boiler standards. But not applicable to pool heaters.

Reactions: mariane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the quick response Marty!
Are the stairs fiberglass? Some believe that fiberglass needs a low level of CH in the water to keep it from oxidizing. But if the stairs are white, I doubt you would notice.

For the equipment, no. Some heater manufacturers state the need for a certain level of CH based on long held parameters from steam boiler standards. But not applicable to pool heaters.
The expert has spoken. :goodjob: :wave:

I’ve been very diligent about testing and adding liquid chlorine. My numbers are below. For the last 4 or 5 days I’ve noticed a very subtle bit of cloudiness to the pool. Still very clear, just not crystal clear like it was before. Is there anything else to watch out for? Maybe it is due to the heat? My numbers are very consistent and within range.

Oscar B’s Pool o’ Fun!
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.0 (14 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (14 hours ago)
pH: 7.6 (14 hours ago)
TA: 90 (14 hours ago)
CH: 150 (15 days ago)
CYA: 50 (39 seconds ago)
TEMPERATURE: 86° (15 days ago)
CSI: -0.25 (39 seconds ago)

Has anyone been using it? My pool gets cloudy if a lot of people get in. Usually clears up after a bit.

Agreed that OCLT might be a good idea.

Reactions: OscarB
Has anyone been using it? My pool gets cloudy if a lot of people get in. Usually clears up after a bit.

Agreed that OCLT might be a good idea.
Just usual family use, nothing like a party. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be looking for. It is clear again after I took the chlorine to 10. The oclt showed no loss. Thank you!

Maybe algae was trying to get a foothold, but it looks like you caught it before it really did. :)

I totally believe that. About two days of dosing it a bit higher with chlorine, I noticed that there was what looked like dirt on the bottom of the pool. Was that algae I killed?!? It looked exactly like what would happen after I used floc in years past. I vacuumed it all to waste. I really need to thank you all for the advice. I saw it turn just a bit cloudy and was right on top of it.

If it was algae, wouldn’t I have picked it up in my cc numbers when testing? It was always a zero.

Here is one more question for you gurus. Can my pool be more susceptible to algae blooms then another pool close by? I ask because my neighbor had a pool installed way before mine. It’s inground and has a de filter, mine is above ground with a sand filter. He has been using those chlorine pucks for years - along with powdered shock - and has never had a problem! How is that possible? I can literally see his pool from my house!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.