aces79

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My water is clear and it passed the overnight chlorine loss test, but my combined chlorine is 14.

What do I do next?

I started this Sunday BTW.

Thanks

Are you sure you ran the test right, or that you're not confusing terms? 14 CC would most likely give you a very strong odor of a public pool -- what people think of as chlorine but is really chloramines. Second question: did you ever use any non-chlorine shock, like Leslie's Fresh 'n Clear ?

I never used any non chlorine shock and I did the test twice. If I’m understanding correctly, I was supposed to bring the chlorine level up to 20 and keep it there correct? Now it’s at 14.

I never used any non chlorine shock and I did the test twice. If I’m understanding correctly, I was supposed to bring the chlorine level up to 20 and keep it there correct? Now it’s at 14.
We're not speaking the same language, I think.

FC is free chlorine. Good guy.
CC is combined chloramines. Bad guy

If you started at 20 FC last night and have 14 FC this morning, you did not pass the overnight chlorine loss test. If you started at 20 FC last night and have 14 CC this morning, something is very very wrong with your chemistry.

We need to make sure we're clear. When you test, you add powder to the sample and it turns pink. Then you count drops. That's FC. Then you add R-003 and it may or may not turn pink again. If it stays clear, CC is zero. If it turns pink, you count drops again and that's CC.

So is that 14 FC or 14 CC?

What type of test kit do you have? I'm guessing one that does total chlorine (FC + CC) and you are saying your total chlorine is 14.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m using a TF-100. Last night my FC was 14, this morning it’s also 14. The CC test remained clear this morning.
Are you sure, now?

If the water is clear AND it passed the OCLT AND the CC is zero, then you're done. The next step is to let FC drop below 10 and run all the tests and make adjustments based on what you find.

I'm still wondering why you posted "My water is clear and it passed the overnight chlorine loss test, but my combined chlorine is 14."

Are you sure, now?

If the water is clear AND it passed the OCLT AND the CC is zero, then you're done. The next step is to let FC drop below 10 and run all the tests and make adjustments based on what you find.

I'm still wondering why you posted "My water is clear and it passed the overnight chlorine loss test, but my combined chlorine is 14."
I may have misunderstood. When I did the CC test it was zero. Is that the number you go by or do you add the FC number to the CC number?

Free Chlorine (FC) + Combined Chlorine (CC) = Total Chlorine (TC)
We usually just speak in FC and CC terms here, since adding the 2 together for TC doesn't do much for TFP.

Sounds like you are done with your SLAM. Congrats!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.