What's your current pool temp?

Mine hit 90 yesterday for the first time. Pump running 21/7 low speed for one turn over a day then 2-4 hours at rpm for two turnovers a day rate to run vac cleaner. We've just started 100 F days, a few days ago, with nights still dipping into high 70's, but that won't last for much longer. Right now losing about 3 F at night. In a few weeks we'll be lucky to get below 90, air temps, at night. I may have to put a fountain in, to run at night, to try to lower the temps down for rest of summer.

I'm putting in 1/2"-1" a day of cooler water to replace evaporation (sun and wind) and splash-out.

gg=alice

We're at 104 heat index the next couple days. Yep folks, that's right...it's hotter in S. Indiana than Mexico right now....

Yesterday the water temp was 89. Put a fountain on last night, it was 85 this morning and creeping up fast. Nightly I plan to put the fountain on to have somewhat refreshing swim temps. If I can keep it below 90 I'll happy.

Gee, I'm hoping mine will finally warm up. It's about 75 as of yesterday. It's been cool and rainy here all month. Suppose to get in the mid 80's this week with 90 ish this weekend. So that should warm the water up. I like it to be about 80 degrees. But our nights cool off to the low 60's so tough to keep it up there.

Mine was 92 yesterday. Only got it down to 89 overnight with the solar running all night. Hotter weather in the forecast the next few days, and no real break in sight. I've been trying to swim a few laps every evening to help with my knee rehab, but it's too warm to do much.

We freeze bleach bottles and throw a few in the pool when the kids are playing. Probably doesn't low the temperature any, but it feels good when you play with the cold water from the bleach bottles:) They take longer to melt than just a big block of ice.

JohnT said:
Mine was 92 yesterday. Only got it down to 89 overnight with the solar running all night. Hotter weather in the forecast the next few days, and no real break in sight. I've been trying to swim a few laps every evening to help with my knee rehab, but it's too warm to do much.

I get chilled pretty fast at much less than 88, especially with the wind. To your point, I was telling DH, last night, as I was giving the little girlie doggies, "get out of pool" lessons, that the water temp of 90 is PERFECT, unless swimming laps. (Especially as the air temps go up. I guess 90 water with 70's air temps would seem like a hot tub.)

I surely do hope you can use the pool for your rehab. I would think it would shorten the recovery time and may even provide better long term success. Keep some cool drinking water by the pool and rehydrate frequently. Maybe that will help some. Another thing you could do is get an outdoor fan and step out of pool when you get too warm, get in front of the fan for a few minutes, then back in pool.

We usually have a lot of wind or when it is "still" a good breeze. Even last early evening, with air temps still above 90, I got a little chilled from the breeze and had to use a big towel to stay warm till I dried off some.

gg=alice

poolgirl22 said:
We're at 104 heat index the next couple days. Yep folks, that's right...it's hotter in S. Indiana than Mexico right now....

Yesterday the water temp was 89. Put a fountain on last night, it was 85 this morning and creeping up fast. Nightly I plan to put the fountain on to have somewhat refreshing swim temps. If I can keep it below 90 I'll happy.

I grew up near Louisville. Even before the average summer temps started climbing in last 20 years or so, one of my most vivid childhood memories was, every Easter Sunday, by the time we got out of church, the humidity was so extreme that it seemed like our 90's here in "less humid than Houston" Dallas area, in early summer. Our church, home, and car didn't have AC when I was a kid. After church dinner, at an ACed restaurant surely was a splendid experience. (My parents installed AC right after I went off to college.) :grrrr:

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in/around Dallas and we hit 97 WATER temp today. No wind, heat index of 105... Luckily the two misters we ordered came in and we installed them so maybe that will help. We tried a little fountain last year and it didn't do anything. It was really miserable in the pool - I just kept thinking "I'm hot"... :( If it doesn't work, I'm going to have to spring for the glacier system I think.

We had this last year, and I simply don't understand how it could get that hot. Anyone else experience this? We have a fairly dark plaster, and a medium sized pool but it only goes to 6.5 feet so not very deep.

Any help would be appreciated!

The water in a typical pool with a 3 foot shallow end and 6 foot deep end will absorb 60% of the sun's energy assuming white plaster. For a dark pool surface, at least 90% of the sun's energy will be absorbed by the water and pool surface combined so the water would get hotter. One way to eliminate this heating during the day is to use an opaque white or reflective pool cover.

You can use an aerating fountain to help cool the water through evaporation during both day and night. You can also have your pump on and circulating the water at night as well -- point the returns up to agitate the surface at least a little. This will help ensure you mixing the pool water so that more of it gets exposed to the (presumably) cooler night air. People with solar systems can forcibly run their systems at night to cool off the water.

Here in Middle Tennessee my pool hit 94 degrees yesterday. It is not refreshing to swim in, if there is a breeze it is more refreshing to get wet in the pool and sit in the shade. But I'm not going to complain, since switching to the BBB Method I have a sparkling clear pool for the first time in three years of owning a pool.

Thanks chem geek. We'll look into the white reflective over! We do typically run pump at night not day so I'll also look at pointing the one return not attached to a mister up a bit.

Melt in the Sun - what will the solar cover do? Is that just something you place on top or are talking about getting solar panels to "cool" the pool? 100 is what we set the hot tub at when it is 40 outside :)

Ha - we would rather have to cool down than deal with trying to heat. We have finally reached 80 deg water yesterday! We have had something like 4 days that were not total cloud coverage since the first week of MAY. Rain nearly every day and clouds every day do not make for great heating with solar panels. Our weatherman has promised the change in jetstream direction will provide a sunnier July so more swimming and more tolerable water temps are on the way, I hope. This is our 4th year of dismal summer weather - we had upper 30s-low 40s night temps last year in July. We SO need a real summer this year

Our pool is currently 82deg, solar cover has been off, the weather has been in the mid 90's for the past few days. This is the weather I was hoping for when we built our pool. Much better then the cold rainy weather we had last year (in south east PA)

I think I'll not complain because there's been some years where the water and weather just didn't cooperate...so I'll take my warmer water and my fountain cooler and the acid additions...some around here are reporting water temps in the upper 90s...I'd be there too without the fountain-ing...
86 today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.