What's your current pool temp?

Pool temp is currently 67 but the weather is supposed to be 84 in Memphis tomorrow so my 5 year old and I will be jumping in for sure. Due to being stuck in the house with 2 young kids, I am desperately trying to get the pool temp up to get the bored kids out swimming.

My wife refuses to allow a heater purchase due to virus lock down but I keep reminding her of the desperate times being trapped in the house. I am even running a hose from my house water heater to bump it up a bit but it takes a lot to heat up 26k gallons.

How long of a hose would I need to pump water from your pools in FL to mine in Memphis?

Didn't feel like swimming today so I left the cover on and pushed the pool up to 95. Tomorrow will be just like mid summer. :snorkle:

@AndyTN A "solar" aka bubblewrap cover will save your pool heat overnight when the temps drop, probably just as effective as my solar. It works by slowing down the cooling overnight rather than adding heat and we don't have hoses quite that long.

@AndyTN A "solar" aka bubblewrap cover will save your pool heat overnight when the temps drop, probably just as effective as my solar. It works by slowing down the cooling overnight rather than adding heat and we don't have hoses quite that long.
I have had a solar cover for years and they work well to retain heat but my water is still cold from winter. The solar part has been the missing ingredient lately due to rain almost every day for weeks. Just using the solar cover, my pool normally warms up enough for my son and me to swim 2nd half of April. My wife won't get in until mid May.

The below is one of my favorites for someone taking "DIY pool heater" to the extreme.

fire pool heater.jpg

Reactions: BasicTek
I have had a solar cover for years and they work well to retain heat but my water is still cold from winter. The solar part has been the missing ingredient lately due to rain almost every day for weeks. Just using the solar cover, my pool normally warms up enough for my son and me to swim 2nd half of April. My wife won't get in until mid May.

The below is one of my favorites for someone taking "DIY pool heater" to the extreme.

View attachment 130322
Yikes don't let that fire get too close to the pool :cheers:

Didn't feel like swimming today so I left the cover on and pushed the pool up to 95. Tomorrow will be just like mid summer. :snorkle:

Also cuts down on evaporation, a major cause of cooling.

Pool heats up to 88 by the end of the day and drops down to 80 when I check it first thing in the morning. Just ordered a cover. I hate them and the way they look but for the next couple of weeks should be good to get the temp bumped up.

Reactions: BasicTek
We have a rectangular pool, and have perfected our cover on/off method so that it's pretty fast. It does take two people, but with two it works great. At the end of the pool, the deck is about 4 feet wide. We each grab a corner, pull the cover to the wall. Then grab the cover at the pool corners again, pull to the wall again. Repeat until the whole cover is up against the wall. This ends up with a "pleated pile" of cover about 2 feet wide, so we can still walk around the pool if we want. We swim, and when we get out, we just grab the corners that are at the top of the pile, and walk the cover corners to the other end of the pool. Taking the cover off takes about 30 seconds, putting it back on is about 5 - 10 seconds. It's not pretty, but it's worth it to us, to keep the heat in and heat it less. Current temp is 85.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had warm feeling sunshine today in the 60s. I noticed that several varieties of plants are coming up and got kind of worried about the pool. Ran out back with the meat thermometer and ..... 42. Nope. Not yet. Then I checked the 2 week forecast and it was mostly highs in the 50s and some nights were 35 or 37. Not quite yet.

My iceberg may be shrinking. No more ice on the winter cover. A couple of overnight temps in the low 20's are predicted in the next week (boo hiss) which won't help things progress.

82 degrees this morning with the cover on. It was a cool night so it works. Time to start trimming it. Is there a timeline for letting it rest or stretch out before cutting, or just start?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.