What's your current pool temp?

Air temp is 82 today and will be about that tomorrow as well. We decided to fire up the heater and get the pool warm enough to swim. The excuse for this is that PB has been here working on replacing the scuppers and has gotten TONS of rocks and debris in the pool. Wall-E has done an AMAZING job of cleaning it up with the exception of a couple rocks that are too heavy for his suction. Last week hubby jumped in when the water was around 74 and it was around 78 air temp. He grabbed the rocks and quickly made his exit. Since it's so warm today and forecast for tomorrow as well, we decided to enjoy it while I get the mortar chunks out and scape any stuck mortar off my plaster.
Water was 60 degrees this morning with air temps at 47. We are currently at 80 degrees in the pool and I'm getting ready to jump in!

Thought I'd post the unlikely Michigan scene of swimming during fall color change since I will not likely ever willingly heat/swim in the pool in open air this late again once the Dome arrives next weekend ;) I seemed to have created a greenhouse effect on the maple directly over the pool (can't see from the pic) ...its still green while the one behind it is a blaze of gold.

View attachment 55340
What a beautiful pic. ?

^thanks! I love my new dome but nothing holds a candle to an open air autumnal swim ;)

Calling for snow tomorrow....and high winds...it will be an interesting dome experiment day ;)

I'm closing my pool here in Ky today. Weather says it's 46, but I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. Doesn't feel bad at all in the sun. Pool water is 55. Just got done cleaning the leaves out. Seriously about to do some number crunching on a gas heater and a dome. The ones I've seen in the past were about $2500. Did you get the blow up kind? I've seen the really cool slide out glass ones, but I don't have $25000 to spent on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Nx!
Yes, I got the Ameridome all vinyl type.Just installed 2 weeks ago, I'll point you at the thread in a sec.

Its been great. Had friends over for a swim and lunch yesterday while watching the snow
fall ;)
image.jpg

Here's a link to my running thread on my experience, heat calcs, etc. On the 3rd page you can see some pics during install:
Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others?

That's pretty cool! I'll have to put that on my list for when money becomes no object. I don't even have a pool heater, so your gas bill caused my heart to miss a beat. Hopefully a solar heater will be in the cards one year, and I'll have to make do with that. I just closed my pool yesterday. Water was 55. I've gotta figure out something to combat all these leaves. I've been cleaning the things out for over a month. Huge pain. I don't like looking at the pool cover, I don't like the leaves, and I can't leave it open all winter. I just need to move somewhere warmer. :)

^lol. I will say that notwithstanding the heating bills, if I'm eating cat food when retired, etc., I would STILL put this up to save on heat bills and avoid leaves in Mid Sep thru late Oct. and then likely again in April-May. In the wintry months, I'd experiment with blowing out the lines and let it float on top like a winter cover. The zippered doors would have to be secured on deck for this to work.

This is my plan b for deep winter so I'll update the thread to let you know how it goes ;)

In shoulder season, the dome heats up quickly with a little sunlight and ergo degree loss is less, so if you weren't running therapy style pool lie I am it might work out without a heater or with more modest heating schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
50 degrees. ugh.

Neat dome you have there Swampwoman. I remember my family visiting a friend a few times way back in the 80's. She had one of those
domes that had a large enclosed fan at one end to draw in fresh air and keep it up. Kinda scared me as a kid, climbing into it via
the gigantic zipper.

The only one of those domes I've seen in person was in Merced, CA. A sports club had one on their big lap pool. It was either 1/4 or 1/2 Olympic size. 6 or 8 lanes wide, and really long. Several big fans. It had a circular air lock door like a fancy hotel entrance door, except it wasn't fancy. It just spun around and kept the wind out. Still cool though. That was a cold walk back to the change room even in California. I never knew it actually got cold out there before that.

^Yes, you can get those revolving doors on this one too but they cost as much as the dome part itself...so I did the l-zipper instead. Its 24 degrees out this a.m. And according to the sensors I have set up, water is 94, dome air is 51 and the blower housing is 48. Once I roll up the solar cover, the dome air gains about 6 degrees. So today still qualifies as usable, because I've discovered I can pretty comfortably still do my physio and aquajogging with air temps as low as 38 ;)

We had a water temp of 59 degrees on Nov. 22nd and fired up the heater for a couple of days during Thanksgiving break. We heated the pool to 86 degrees and heated the spa a few times as well. Really happy with the gas heater. So far the costs have been very manageable.
3665763328d38eba6c00862592e4e8c5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a fun time.
I cant get the thermometer through the ice to check temp, so its Butt cold here.
I don't see a blue star on your pic anywhere?Maybe this year finally after 21 years.

LOL, Butt cold is outside of my comfort range as well!

What's a blue star?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.