Silver Supporter
Mar 14, 2021
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, now that I understand pool chemistry ABCs, can you help me identify my pool equipment? What’s what? Which direction is the water flowing?
Also, how much strength should it take to turn the valves? Mine seem stuck in their positions..
Assume I know nothing besides the on/off switch!
Thank you!!

Attachments

• 6BEBAE1B-2677-495C-B366-7F3461D5137E.jpeg
    6BEBAE1B-2677-495C-B366-7F3461D5137E.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 50
Your pool and spa are separate systems. Pump B is pool, Pump F is spa. Suction ports for the pumps are in the front, pressure/return ports are on the top.

Pool Plumbing:

Lines 5 and 7 are suction from the pool. 5 or 7 could come from skimmer(s), main drain, cleaner suction port, or combination depending on how your pool is plumbed. Balance between Lines 5/7 is controlled by valve 6 (water flows from or through the side the handle is pointed to)

Water flows from Pump B through Line 10 to the Filter E, to Line 2 to Heater A, and out Heater to Valve 3 (pool return).

Valve 3 controls return flow to the pool. It looks like there's a check valve between 3 and 4 which indicates Line 4 goes to some type of elevated return source. It could be a water feature (sheer decent, fountain, waterfall), or it could be spa make-up line. A spa make-up allows a little flow to the spa when the spa pump is off to keep water circulating when in pool mode. When open it would allow spillover from the spa to the pool.

Valve 3 also sends water to the main pool return 11, through the Inline Chlorinator D (tablet feeder).

Spa Plumbing:

Line 12 is Spa Suction. Water bypasses the filter and returns directly to the spa through Line 13. Spa return is controlled by a valve to balance water between return lines 14 and 15.

G is the Spa Blower. It sends forced air through the Spa Return lines to enhance bubbles.

I don't know what H is. It looks like an air compressor to me. It may be an old spa blower?

You may need to take a close look at the pool side of the plumbing and adjust valves to determine what they do.

The valves may be tight because the lock nuts on top of the handle may be too tight. Try loosening the nut to see if it helps.

Best of luck!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Fish,

I see your plumbing a little differently than Mike... But only you will be able to tell for sure...

Pump B is your main pump and runs both the pool and the spa.

Automated Valve 6 is called your Intake valve and selects if the water coming into the pump is coming from the pool (Pool mode) or from the Spa (Spa mode).

Automated Valve 3 is called your Return valve and it selects if the water leaving the heater goes back to the pool (pool mode) or back to the spa (Spa mode).

A is your heater

E is your Cartridge Filter.. Inside are cartridges that captures all the floating junk that falls into your pool. The filter needs to be opened and cleaned at least once and year and maybe more depending on your pool.

D is called a Tab feeder" where you put chlorine tablets. Water runs through the feeder and dissolves the tablets and releases the chlorine into the pool.

11 is where the water goes back to your pool.

C is a booster pump for your pressure side cleaner. It gets its water from 8 and sends it to the cleaner via pipe 9.

10 is just a normal hose bib that is used during construction, but can be used with a garden hose to drain some pool water if desired.

F is a secondary pump that could do several things.. It could be for some water feature, like a large waterfall or it could also be for running the spa jets.. It gets its water from pipe 12, but where that pipe is connected depends on what the pump is for. Only you can tell us that. The output of pump F goes to a manual Jandy valve that sends the water back through pipes 14 and 15.. Again, only you can tell where the water is going. Currently the valve is sending water to both pipes 14 and 15..

G is your spa blower, which add bubbles to the water.

H looks like an old piece of junk to me.. :scratch:

You really do not want to manually turn any of the automated valves.. Some of them can be manually turned, while some cannot.. I suggest that for the time being, you don't screw with them..

As a test, watch your Intake valve 6 and your Return valve 3, and put your automation system into the Spa mode and see how they turn. Put the system back into the Pool mode and they should turn back to their original positions.

Good luck with learning your new-to-you pool.

Show us some pic of the pool itself and we might be able to answer a few more questions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
infinity4000Hydraulic.png

H looks like a hydraulic pump for a pool cover.

Do you have an automatic cover?

Do you have a picture of the pool?

Wow thanks for taking the time to help a clueless stranger. Expressing my appreciation by becoming a Silver Supporter :)

I will try to attach some photos of the pool. There is a fountain/waterfall stretching about 12 feet along the back wall.
The previous owner did not mention nor include an automatic cover.

Attachments

• IMG_9934.jpg
    IMG_9934.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_7204.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7204.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15
You really do not want to manually turn any of the automated valves.. Some of them can be manually turned, while some cannot.. I suggest that for the time being, you don't screw with them..
Seems reasonable; I hadn't considered they are automated valves. Glad I didn't take wrench to them

Seems reasonable; I hadn't considered they are automated valves. Glad I didn't take wrench to them

Read about Valve Actuators - Further Reading

They screw in on top of a diverter valve and automatically turn the valve stem. There is a procedure to disconnect the actuator gears to turn the handle manually or you unscrew the actuator, remove it, and then turn the handle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fish,

Between pipes number 14 and 15 is a manual Jandy valve that you can rotate.. Point the handle to pipe 14 and see what water feature works or don't work.. Then point the valve handle to pipe number 15 and do the same thing. This should tell you want that valve is for..

Obviously, pump "F" must be running..

Since you have an automation system, just look and see what the button that turns on pump "F" is labeled..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok. H looks like a high pressure pump for something. It might not be part of the pool system.

What labels are readable on H?
I'm ok, but in case you were still curious see attached. Label is faded

Attachments

• sOIXN8nQS3m9+XHyUaR8Fg.jpg
    sOIXN8nQS3m9+XHyUaR8Fg.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 13
  • ipHYPANDSbyKfB++jzDoFA.jpg
    ipHYPANDSbyKfB++jzDoFA.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.