What's the ideal position for a return jet?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
We just had our heater installed. The hard pipe into the return is leaking, so I'm letting them fix it. However, I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust the return after they're done. My question is, what position to all prefer for the return jet. Using a clock, 6:00 would be toward the bottom of the pool. Right now, it's about 3:00. Is there a benefit to 1:00, which would ruffle the top of the water? I don't need more PH, so I'm not looking to break the surface, but does it help with bugs or filtration?

Is there an ideal position for a return jet?

For an AGP most returns are pointed downward at a 45 (about 3 oclock in your case). You want it pointed away from the skimmer so that the water in your pool rotates and constantly feeds surface debris to the skimmer. Pointing the return downward mixes the top and bottom layers of water in the pool. Unless you are trying to lower the TA in your pool making ruffles on the surface of the water doesn't do anything for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.