Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2021
So Cal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is DE powder all the same or does quality vary by vendor / brand? Curious to know if any thoughts or advice on this one before I buy some DE powder for my filter change (Pentair quad de).

Thanks

It should pretty much be the same within its respective grading class. Pool grade is well Pool grade and food grade is food grade.

I’ve only used the Leslie’s brand up until yesterday because they were out. I bought a brand called Pool Time at Home Depot. I assume it will do the same thing, but I noticed that it’s a lot more “powdery”.

I’ve heard that about Home Depot pool time powered. Exactly the sort of thing I was wondering! I may just go to Leslie’s for this (I hate that place!)

"should" being the operant word.....🤔 Has the quality been somehow compromised over the past few years?
There are ranges of differing components acceptable in each. Pool grade de due to the process used can be anywhere from 60-70% crystalline silica. One brand may be more another may be less But in that range. Food grade is less then 1% crystalline silica so again depending on the brand you could have different amounts under 1%. Also depending on where it’s mined various other minerals may be in it which contributed to color variances etc.

Reactions: anthonypool89
Most interesting. What I'm seeing is that, when I take apart my tank, the DE does not seem to be adhering to the grids like in the past. Lately I've tried draining the tank without backwashing first - just to see what everything looks like inside. There was relatively little DE coating the grids - or at least very uneven. Alot near the tops of the grids but not as much towards the middle and bottom. However, something seems contradictory in this....less DE on the grids should = LOWER pressure, right? Water would pass through more easily. Not sure on that one...

I didn’t think too much about it, but my filter pressure was slightly lower than normal after cleaning yesterday. I only used 1 scoop of the new DE, but I also didn’t weigh it. The Leslie’s stuff weighed 1 lb per scoop. Maybe the new stuff is lighter. I’ll weigh it next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most interesting. What I'm seeing is that, when I take apart my tank, the DE does not seem to be adhering to the grids like in the past. Lately I've tried draining the tank without backwashing first - just to see what everything looks like inside. There was relatively little DE coating the grids - or at least very uneven. Alot near the tops of the grids but not as much towards the middle and bottom. However, something seems contradictory in this....less DE on the grids should = LOWER pressure, right? Water would pass through more easily. Not sure on that one...
Lots of variables can play into pressure readings. Air trapped in the system because it wasn’t bled properly can increase pressure. Blockage on the suction side that you‘re unaware of could reduce pressure. I think to begin to diagnose more effectively in this scenario you would need a setup that’s used in commercial pools that shows influent and effluent pressures. Then you could baseline with differing types of clean de to see if there was really an impact on pressure differential by using one brand vs another.

Lots of variables can play into pressure readings. Air trapped in the system because it wasn’t bled properly can increase pressure. Blockage on the suction side that you‘re unaware of could reduce pressure. I think to begin to diagnose more effectively in this scenario you would need a setup that’s used in commercial pools that shows influent and effluent pressures. Then you could baseline with differing types of clean de to see if there was really an impact on pressure differential by using one brand vs another.
Good post. All very interesting.

I've never noticed much difference from one brand to the next.
I have tried the cellulose fiber substitute (specifically, Jack's Magic brand) and it works ok, but is a royal mess when doing a deep clean (more so than DE). I also didn't feel that it performed quite as well as DE.
Right now, I'm trying CelaPerl (a Perlite alternative...supposedly non-toxic...you use exactly the same number of scoops, but it is half the weight of DE). So far, the CelaPerl seems on-par with the performance I've gotten from DE.

I've never noticed much difference from one brand to the next.
I have tried the cellulose fiber substitute (specifically, Jack's Magic brand) and it works ok, but is a royal mess when doing a deep clean (more so than DE). I also didn't feel that it performed quite as well as DE.
Right now, I'm trying CelaPerl (a Perlite alternative...supposedly non-toxic...you use exactly the same number of scoops, but it is half the weight of DE). So far, the CelaPerl seems on-par with the performance I've gotten from DE.
Just curious why you started looking for DE alternatives?

Just curious why you started looking for DE alternatives?
I was attracted to the fiber based on the fact that a very small, very light bag is sufficient for a full fill of my filter. Also looking to avoid the dust. There’s no getting around the dust, it turns out. And I found the fiber more irritating on the skin and more of a pain to work with. The Perl is indistinguishable from DE except for the weight.

Mostly curious to see what these products are about and how they perform. I think they’re best suited for the areas that are getting fussy about backwashing DE.

I ordered Perlite which is a DE alternative based on the research I have done. Less silica, less build up in the lawn, as good and maybe better performance, lighter weight.

I have tried the cellulose fiber substitute
I think I had that once also. Didn't care for it if I recall correctly.
less build up in the lawn
Wow....that would sure work for me at least right now! The stuff I recently got from the pool store is Dicalite - pretty common brand I believe. I'll try it and see if it makes any difference in the length of the filter cycles compared to this "Splash" DE

Last edited:
Anyone ever heard or used CelaPool Low Dust DE? That's what my pool guy was using before I went TFP. Pool has always been clear and no issues otherwise, so thinking I may just stick with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.