What's growing on my hose?

Aug 9, 2015
Waxhaw, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
IMG_20170602_190231.jpg Can anyone tell me what's growing on my Polaris hose? I've been maintaining the proper FC level and had .5 overnight chlorine loss. I just noticed this yesterday, but don't see it growing on other obvious surfaces (inside the skimmer, etc.). Is it time for a slam?

Thanks.

I don't think it's dirt. It appears as groups of uniform brown dots that seem to grow in size (the groups grow in size, the individual dots stay the same). I'll try to post a better picture. It comes off the hose by rubbing or lightly brushing it.

Thanks!

Sorry to be so long in reply; I've been out of town. It is on the outside of the hose to my Polaris pool vacuum. I'd never heard of artillery fungus until you mentioned it. Can it grow on a hose submerged in chlorinated water? If that's what it is, how do I get rid of it? Does it pose any danger to swimmers? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Think I have figured this out. I spent some time looking at the growth and it appeared to be the dots are held in a gelatinous substance. I surmised they were some sort of eggs. Then today, while lying on a float, I watched a dragonfly deposit her eggs on the hose. So I solved the mystery, but now have even more questions. Can eggs or larvae survive in chlorinated water? My daily FC ranges from about 7 to about 2.5. I love my dragonflies (we have a ton of them), but I don't want a pool full of larvae. Do I need to super-chlorinate occasionally to kill the eggs? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.