What you all think of the plaster job?

Pool Math Log for tonights check:

FC: 0
PH: 7.0-7.2 range
TA: 70
CH: 220
CYA: <30, I poured until it overflowed and the dot was still visible.

I'm concerned about the copper result on the Leslie's test. Did the builder have you add something with copper in it? A freshly filled pool should have 0 copper. Same with CYA. It should be 0 unless you have added it to the pool.

I'm concerned about the copper result on the Leslie's test. Did the builder have you add something with copper in it? A freshly filled pool should have 0 copper. Same with CYA. It should be 0 unless you have added it to the pool.
I was told that Local water runs through copper piping in some areas so will show something. When I Test CYA I get zero. So I can only assume margin on error with the digital tester.

I was told that Local water runs through copper piping in some areas so will show something. When I Test CYA I get zero. So I can only assume margin on error with the digital tester.
I also did a tap test just to see what I was starting with before the fill up. Probably good to know what you have out the tap before it factors into the pool. For my water, lots more chlorine than I expected.

Did you fill your pool from house water?

If so, take a sample of your house water to Leslie and see what results you get.

Todays numbers, same as yesterday morning.
PH above 8.0
TA 100
CH 220
Chlorine 0 again. Probably still getting consumed so will just keep adding…
CYA, even after a gallon of instant condition it still registers less then 30.
Used this…
image.jpg

Mine are covered in that as well. Super sucks, especially since I have PebbleTec...
Is this considered install defect that the plaster company should redo or is this really you get what you get and there are zero guarantees and 100% of the risk of crappy install falls on the customer? At what point do you say, chip it out and redo. Just trying to get my expectations set correctly to not be to far to one side.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this considered install defect that the plaster company should redo

No, what you see is cosmetic.

or is this really you get what you get and there are zero guarantees and 100% of the risk of crappy install falls in the customer?

Yes, Plaster is a hand applied material that will have natural variations depending on the crew and environment that day.

At what point do you say, chip it out and redo. Just trying to get my expectations set correctly to not be to far to one side.

When there are structural problems with the application such as delamination or nodules.

It is all a negotiation with the builder.

Reason I'm having Leslie test is for paper trail. If for whatever reason their is a plaster issue, I want to make sure the PB doesn't tell me it's because the first 28 days the chemistry is off.
lol, I'm doing the same. Every week I go to Pinch a Penny and get a paper report just in case PB needs documentation for plaster claim.
But on the side I test my water every day with my Taylor kit. I trust my Taylor kit more. For advise, I also trust TFP more.

Oh, and my pool plaster is not perfect either, there are white marks, rough spots. PB told me it's not a car paint job, there will be imperfections.
I'm curious what your pool will look like after 30 days of "acid" treatment.

So I think I have found a good route. 4 cups acid in the morning followed by 4 cups chlorine, then again, 12 hours later seems to keep things around 7.2-7.6 for PH and 2-3 for Chlorine. I checked CYA again and still not really registering, I got a 7 lbs pure CYA off amazon, and will put some in a sock and let it dissolve into the pool.
Next item, when can you drop the dolphin in to clean. I’m over a week in and it’s tenically not wheels?

Next item, when can you drop the dolphin in to clean. I’m over a week in and it’s tenically not wheels?

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.
Was going off the NPC guidelines for startup but it didn’t make sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.