Maggie263

Apr 14, 2021
Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened our pool yesterday, only to discover brown green water. Doesnt seem slimy just an awful color. I have lost the cap to the sand pump drain. Not much I can do without it. I have ordered a new one from Intex, but it could be May 10th before it gets here!! So, my pool is uncovered and now the weather is going to heat up. Without being able to run the pump what would you do?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

You should add 5ppm of chlorine with liquid chlorine and stir with a brush or broom. Do this each day until you can run your pump. If you know your CYA from last year, you can take FC up to 40% of that CYA for a faster cleaning.
If you have a sump pump, you can use that to mix the water.

I would measure it (or maybe you know the size from ordering the part) and order something off of Amazon or hang out in the plumbing section of the hardware store until I found something workable.

Woodstock has a good idea using the rubber pvc pipe caps with a clamp (like the silver ring around a dryer vent) which are around $3 in my area.

You may be able to get an exact size pvc cap which would be cheaper, but you don’t have any flexibility with sizing like you would with the rubber cap.

Reactions: Maggie263
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

You should add 5ppm of chlorine with liquid chlorine and stir with a brush or broom. Do this each day until you can run your pump. If you know your CYA from last year, you can take FC up to 40% of that CYA for a faster cleaning.
If you have a sump pump, you can use that to mix the water.
This is my first year of using the TFP method, so no clue on the CYA. Read all these responses to my husband, and he is going to see what he can come up with. Thank you for suggestions!

Be careful with hardware store parts. Intex uses metric, hardware store parts are almost always imperial. You might find something that seems like it fits only to bugger the threads on the filter, destroying it.

I have been hand stirring the 12,700 gallon pot I'm responsible for, for the past month, while the plumbing was down. It's not fun but it's not particularly difficult, just requires time and patience. I use the leaf net in hand, no pole, and just keep going the same direction, over and over. It takes a bit but eventually the water gets moving. Once it gets a decent swirl, I can pour chlorine while still stirring (or alternating, a little chlorine, a little stirring). Thankfully the water is still cold enough that chlorine losses aren't extreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teald024
What kind of pool are we talking about? Intex type, or permanent AGP?

So, I had a few thoughts. You could try covering the drain plug with backwash hose type rubber, and clamp the heck out of it with metal hose clamps.

If you have a pool robot, use that to help with circulation.

Use a sump pump... just put it in without a hose attached, or if you want, you can attach a garden hose and put sump in one area of pool, hose end at another, and see if that gives you any circulation.

If Intex, drain some water. Maybe not all, but the brown/green water won’t be as brown/green if mixed with fresh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.