What would you do? Ancient Filter & Pump

Sep 18, 2013
San Rafael, CA
Pool filter and pump are of unknown age - plaster pool itself was installed in the early 60's.

What would you do???

Single speed main 0.5hp pump bearings are starting to let me know its time for a new motor.

Filter cartridges for the Sta-Rite system 3 are getting a little ratty. Might be able to make it one more season...maybe. We are planning on doing construction on the main house property...so the pool is likely going to be full of dirt & debris.

We have a letro legend pressure side cleaner that was recently replaced (scored an awesome craigslist deal)...

Here are my options:
1) Replace pump with Pentair 3hp variable speed that everyone loves
2) Replace pump with Pentair + new Cartridges?
Catridges look to be $300. I'd rather replace them with the retrofit kit, but that looks like it will be ~$450 and puts me 60-70% of the way there to a DE filter...
3) Replace Pump with Pentair and install a new DE filter?
Is the DE filter worth it?

I have no plans to ever install a SWG. I have a stenner pump + chlorine barrel that I will eventually use. The current setup is plumbed with 1.5" copper pipes. I have two returns, single drain, and skimmer. Current surface action is marginal - on windy days, forget it.

Pool stays relatively clear when the filter is clean and runs for 8hrs+ per day. Overall, pretty satisfied with current setup...but if the DE filter means less maintenance and clearer water, then I'd be interested.

See Attached photos of the setup...The heater has since been torn out and electrical cleaned up. It was a horror show. Nevermind about the photos...keeps telling me my quota has been exceeded, regardless of the photo size.

Thx for the reponses thus far. I intend on getting the variable speed pump as my calculated savings makes it worth it over the two speed. Also, I will be fitting solar as some point in the future. Ive done some calcs for the pump, and using the larger size is worth the added efficiency running it at lower speeds.

I'm just debating if it's worth doing a cartridge replacement or a filter swap. Anyone gone from cartridge to DE or vice versa?

sent via the cone of silence

VT,

I have found that I don't have to clean my cartridge filter but about twice a year... This is because I run my VS pump at only 1,200 RPM and at the speed, the filter pressure never gets above about 2 to 3 lbs.

So, if you are getting a VS pump anyway, then I'd hold off on buying a new filter until you see how your old one works with your new pump.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim - thx for the response. I only have to clean about 1x per year - I usually wait for a 2-3PSI change before doing it. We have very little dirt that gets blown into the pool. Most of the debris are leaves & sticks. Usual pressure is around 3-4PSI. Based on my readings on the forum, there may be little reason to switch types since our clarity is quite good (except for now) and a low dirt load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.