What would I benefit from automation when considering my setup?

GrizwaldO

Jun 12, 2020
Elkhorn, NE
I am trying to understand if/what I would benefit from adding automation to my setup. My build has not started (fiberglass pool currently being constructed), so now is the time to finalize a decision. My setup (in sig) seems pretty straightforward, so I'm wrestling with whether or not I have enough to worry about automating. Any and all input is appreciated!

It's really a personal choice. I'm a tech guy...have Internet controlled HVAC thermostats, 4 iPads, stream everything to Apple TVs, etc. How about you? Like to control things from your phone/tablet? Want to create schedules?

I'm a tech guy as well, jimbethesda! I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth it based on my equipment and fairly simple setup. From what I understand, my heat pump I'm getting is a "set it and forget it" regarding temp. The pump can be programmed for runtime and speeds. The SWG detects waterflow, so it will turn on and off with the pump.

The bubblers and slide I'll have to manually turn on and off, and bump up the pump. Perhaps that's where I benefit? I guess it would be "cool" to adjust the lighting remotely, but definitely not necessary. Maybe I am not thinking of something that would make automation more appealing to spend the dollars on.

Side note... my wife and kids are home all summer long, so the pool will be used daily.

Something A LOT of people (or, Customers in my world) forget is that a full blown auto controller will control much more than your pool. I can't honestly remember if my signature says it, but my OmniLogic controls my backyard water feature, my deck lighting and my landscape lighting. Auto controllers have high voltage relays which, in essence, control about anything you'd have in your backyard, house, shop.........I think you get the point. I sell the OmniLogic more as a "back yard controller", instead of just a pool controller. My 2 cents anyway.

Reactions: bmoreswim
The few advantages I would see are:
1. You can control your SWCG output from your phone/device rather than the equipment pad
2. You can setup a macro for features like the bubblers so that at the push of a button you can turn on the bubbler valve and increase the pump speed to what you need for the bubblers.
3. Easily adjust schedules and change pump speeds, for example running at a low speed most of the time, then bumping it up when you want more skimming (both as part of a schedule, and as needed).
4. Controlling lights on/off, as well as easily changing colors

All 4 of the above are totally nice to haves, and like many things in life, you just have to figure out if they are worth the extra $ for you.

I have similar setup less the heater. I really enjoy having automation. It's not that I get a ton of extra features, but it's all in one place and can be done from inside (on a branded remote since I don't have a Wi-Fi based controller installed). So standing at the pad or inside I can change pump timers (for any of 4 preset speeds - or modify those speeds - and see how many watts each draws), change SWCG %, set to superchlorinate, turn on/off two sets of pole lights (though they are also on automation system timers - and change their on/off times as the seasons change), turn on/off pump, turn on/off pool lights. It is just really nice to have all of this in one place, versus at each individual piece of equipment or switch. And as mentioned I can do it inside also, but you'd be able to do it from anywhere via the internet. Leave on vacation and forget to turn off the heater, no problem. Friend comes over to use your pool while your away and pool lights aren't on, turn them on. Check to see if the pump is running after a thunderstorm at your house while your away for a month? Easily check, and if you have problem, send someone over to flip a breaker. Or return to a green pool. So many different scenarios to use it that aren't that every day, but that are very helpful or convenient when needed.

Maybe try the Pentair IntelliConnect which for $280 would be a good way to dip your toes into automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.