What we need to answer your questions update?

Jonesy

Jun 10, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I’m new here, loving the TFP, my pool is sparkling.

When I first joined the forums and before I posted anything, I read the “What we need to answer your questions” sticky in Just Getting Started and posted my signature accordingly. Any chance of changing that to show that we should list the test kit we are using as well?

I know it seems like common sense to anyone that uses these forums regularly, but to a complete newbie, like myself, being told I’m missing something from the get go, when I posted what was asked for, can possibly turn off folks seeking help. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

I agree that this would make a useful addition to the thread. I will say, most of the time we can tell where the results come from (there are certain things that make it obvious results come from a pool store or test strips) but it has occasionally been misread as rudeness when we told someone we don't trust pool store readings without them telling us their readings are from a pool store. That's why "what kit are you using?" has become a standard question if it isn't said outright. Along with that someone without many posts will often be asked about it if it isn't in their signature, even if they have been on the site for a long time. We are very particular about making sure we don't steer someone the wrong way due to bad testing, I know I am bad at times with trying to explain that in a personable way. One of the side effects of saying the same things over and over. An explanation, certainly not an excuse.

And thank you for reading that sticky. It really does help us out and hopefully improved the advice you were given right from the go. Thanks again and I hope the powers that be consider the suggestion, it is a good one.

Thanks!

Yes, I mistook it for rudeness at first glance, then put myself in their shoes. Yup, it must get tiring asking the same thing over and over.

Maybe the thread can be updated, or newer guidance given in a new thread, maybe include it in the Welcome to the Forums automail you get when joining, I dunno (granted there are a LOT of links in that Welcome mail already), just giving a newbie perspective!

Updating this thread - What we need to know to answer your questions - to include the testkit would be helpful. That way it would better match Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I'd also like to see pump horsepower added to the "If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump" line in both documents.

We can at least hope new members read one or the other.

Updating this thread - What we need to know to answer your questions - to include the testkit would be helpful. That way it would better match Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I'd also like to see pump horsepower added to the "If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump" line in both documents.

We can at least hope new members read one or the other.
What we need to know to answer your questions Updated as to test kit question and pump details

- - - Updated - - -

I’m new here, loving the TFP, my pool is sparkling.

When I first joined the forums and before I posted anything, I read the “What we need to answer your questions” sticky in Just Getting Started and posted my signature accordingly. Any chance of changing that to show that we should list the test kit we are using as well?

I know it seems like common sense to anyone that uses these forums regularly, but to a complete newbie, like myself, being told I’m missing something from the get go, when I posted what was asked for, can possibly turn off folks seeking help. Thanks, and keep up the great work!
Updates as to test kit question

Thanks Tim!

Yeah - with the scope of the site, it's easy for little things to get overlooked. But with members pointing out those little things and our crack Mod staff on the job, tney get addressed pretty quidkly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.