What water best to fill pool with

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
I'm about to start construction of new inground pool. Should be done in about 3 months.
My research took me to what to fill the pool with once done (lol, yes, water, but what kind?).
Water in my city is hard. Found that hard water can create problems.
My initial plan was to get local fire to cone by, tap into hydrant, drain bunch out, then fill pool.
That would put bunch of hats water in.

Then I read I would have to increase ph, above 10, get calcium to solidify. vacuum, then reduce ph.
Is that only way? Can you share your wisdom on this? Can I live with hard waywf in pool? What are drawbacks? Should I get soft water? Called one place who wanted 500 bucks for 4000 gallons. I would need about 40,000 gallons. Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome! :wave: You would be surprised how well pool water with an elevated CH level can be managed. But before you go as far as trying to have water delivered and such, I would first encourage you to use a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit to test your own fill water source (i.e. hose bib). By knowing your fill source's CH level, we can get a reasonable expectation of what your final CH might be once full. Even pools in the southwest with dreadfully hard water can be managed by compensating for a high CH with a lower pH and TA. I can't think of a time where we've ever encouraged anyone to try and increase the FC in an effort to try and solidify calcium. That could have a negative impact on your plaster surface right away. But I'd start with an accurate home CH test first and let us see what you have to work with and we can go from there.

Do you have a whole house water softener? Plumbing your make up water for the pool from the water softener is a great way to control CH rise. Using your raw water for initial fill is fine. Then as you need water for the pool due to evaporation, you use your softened water.

Goit my untreated city water test.
Free Chlorine: 1 ppm
Tot. Chlorine: 2
pH: 7.2
Tot. Alkalinity: 200 ppm
Calcium Hardness: 240 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 0
Iron: 0
Copper: 0
Phosphates: 0
TDS: 500 ppm

So when I turn my sprinkler on, this is is the water coming out. Before being softened.
That is why wonder if getting fire dept fill the pool will be fine. I hope it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.