What type of skimmer float valve would fit this skimmer?

What model skimmer do you have? I have the same setup but without that odd cap you have there. If you like I can go out and pull mine and see if I can find a model number. I think mine sits flush against the o-ring.

I reckon you might could make the one you have work, if the problem is that that "thingy" is sticking up slightly by just cutting a flat rubber ring about 1/16 to 1/18 inch thick and crazy gluing it to the bottom of the float valve. Just trace it on a sheet of flat rubber like this:

Depending on how much your "thingy" sticks up you might need 1/8 thickness...

Cut it out with an exacto knife, glue it on, check for leaks .. badda bing!

I think it's now the Pentair sta-rite 8650 skimmer ( Pentair bought out swimquip apparently ). Yours looks very similar to mine. I had a devil of a time getting the right O-Ring. I ended up taking one that was a bit too wide and just cutting it and crazy gluing the ends back together. That worked like a champ. You MUST have that O-Ring ( or the flat rubber seal I suggested you fabricate above ) for the float valve to work correctly. You can test the emergency shutoff feature by closing the weir door and letting the skimmer suck all the water down .. you should hear it start to gurgle and your pump start to complain, and then the float will slam shut. You need to pull it back off and replace it to reset the valve once it trips. Closing the door at the bottom will give you about 95% main drain suction. When the valve trips, you will get 100% main drain suction as long as your gasket is sealing properly. Tripping the valve intentionally is how I drain using the main drain when I am lowering water at closing. I also do this when I am trying to sweep up Crud from the bottom into the main drain because I am too lazy to vacuum that day! I would say it is VERY important in AZ to have this working properly unless your pool has an auto-filler. A little messing around to get this sorted out is way better than paying $800 for a new pump!

Last edited:
I just noticed in your photo that there is also a little plastic tab sticking off the round part at the bottom.. you could probably trim that away with an exacto knife if you had to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try the glue on rubber ring trick, or, you may be able to remove that cap and replace with a flush, Screw in plug. It looks like it has a Phillips screw in it. Can you remove it? If the pipe is threaded, you can probably screw in a plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.