What type of cement from white to gray pvc?

Foxer

Gold Supporter
Jul 6, 2021
Salt Lake City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
What type of pvc cement should I use to transition from the white 1-1/2" PVC to gray electrical conduit for my pool lights? I'm using the Oatey Rain-R-Shine for all the regular stuff. And I've got the gray cement for conduit. Can one of those be used on the transition since they're both PVC? Is there something else?

It is best not to mix white water pipe with gray electrical conduit.
Besides the color difference, electrical conduit is more UV stable.
You can use Oatey Rain-R-Shine to glue them together.

i would run the lights in all gray cpvc not that I have not used the pvc/cpvc for low voltage before , and you are just trying to keep moisture out and the pool light wire is sealed also

but here is a read or skip to the end for glue up procedures

It is best not to mix white water pipe with gray electrical conduit.
Besides the color difference, electrical conduit is more UV stable.
You can use Oatey Rain-R-Shine to glue them together.
What do people typically do for their nicheless lights like the microbrites? All grey cpvc like @Zmann suggested? I'd worry about the bond of the fitting for the light going from pvc to cpvc, but maybe that's nothing to worry about. I really don't know 🤷‍♂️

Forgive my ignorance here @AQUA~HOLICS . Are these the lights? Isn't that grey conduit going into white PVC? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing (or at least not the wrong thing!)

Attachments

• Inkedpipe_LI.jpg
    Inkedpipe_LI.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IME you never know unless you see it applied
RedHotBlueGlue_LowVOC-247x300.jpg

My microbrites were installed the same way shown by @AQUA~HOLICS . Gray PVC into a white pvc pipe. I just remember seeing all the same blue glue on all the pipes white and gray.
You need the white 1.5" pipe to accept the actual light. They thread into a standard plumbing fitting and standard PVC is less expensive than the grey electrical conduit, especially 1.5" FIP adapters. The blue glue you mentioned is a very good glue as it has high PVC solids in it. You may, at times, see purple primer along with the glue, but UV light will cause that to fade after a time. There is also clear primer, but most jobs that are inspected require the purple so the inspector can see that the job was primed before gluing. The blue glue is great for electrical conduit as well. Most electricians don't use it as it sets very fast. Grey is usually used as it allows more work time and electrical conduit doesn't have to deal with water pressure from pumps.

Reactions: Foxer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.