What to trash...previously purchased pool chemicals

Lacey

Jul 2, 2016
Lincoln, Nebraska
Hello All,

I have converted to the recommended chemicals and have several previously purchased pool store chemicals left over. MANY of these do not list ingredients. I am looking for advice if they can / should be used or if I should just dispose of them?

Pool Style Bright Shock (Lithium Hypochlorite 29%, other ingredients 71%) 1 lb bags... I can't think of any reason I would ever use these as opposed to bleach... everyone agree?

E-Z CLOR pH Down (93.2% Sodium bisulfate). I use MA to lower my pH if needed (VERY rarely). I'm wondering, since I already have purchased this, can I use it instead of MA. Does anyone know how it effects TA and if it adds any bad / unnecessary chemicals to the pool?

Natural Chemistry, pool perfect, phosfree. No ingredients listed. Any uses for this or trash it?

BioGuard, Balancer, Pool Magnet Plus, "Prevents stains caused by metals". Any uses for this or trash it?

E-Z CLOR, Super Shimmer & Shine, "super concentrated water clarifier, leaves dull and cloudy water sparkling clear". Any uses for this or trash it?

E-Z CLOR Algaecide 50 (a whole bunch of ingredients I don't want to try to type out). Any uses for this or trash it?

PooLife Defend+ "Fast acting algaecide that kills, prevents & controls algae" "Algaecide & Clarifier In One"

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Lacey, here is my take on it:

I have converted to the recommended chemicals and have several previously purchased pool store chemicals left over. MANY of these do not list ingredients. I am looking for advice if they can / should be used or if I should just dispose of them?

Pool Style Bright Shock (Lithium Hypochlorite 29%, other ingredients 71%) 1 lb bags... I can't think of any reason I would ever use these as opposed to bleach... everyone agree?

Here is past discussion about Lithium Hypochlorite Lithium Hypochlorite For Routine Care Depends how much you have. Using a few bags to get rid of it won't hurt anything.

E-Z CLOR pH Down (93.2% Sodium bisulfate). I use MA to lower my pH if needed (VERY rarely). I'm wondering, since I already have purchased this, can I use it instead of MA. Does anyone know how it effects TA and if it adds any bad / unnecessary chemicals to the pool?

Again, depends how much you have. It adds sulfates to the water which you don't want a long term build up of. Using up a few bottles won't hurt anything.

Natural Chemistry, pool perfect, phosfree. No ingredients listed. Any uses for this or trash it?
Dump

BioGuard, Balancer, Pool Magnet Plus, "Prevents stains caused by metals". Any uses for this or trash it?
Dump

E-Z CLOR, Super Shimmer & Shine, "super concentrated water clarifier, leaves dull and cloudy water sparkling clear". Any uses for this or trash it?
Dump

E-Z CLOR Algaecide 50 (a whole bunch of ingredients I don't want to try to type out). Any uses for this or trash it?
Dump

PooLife Defend+ "Fast acting algaecide that kills, prevents & controls algae" "Algaecide & Clarifier In One"
Dump

I hate to see money get trashed like that.

-Keep the lithium as it will raise your FC. Its expensive stuff so rarely used.

-Since you don't have plaster, you can use the pH down bilsulphate. Its not a good product for plaster or SWGs.

-PhosFree. We'd never tell you to buy it, especially if you keep your pool in correct balance with the FC and CYA. But since you have it you *could* use it. Not sure it makes much difference but some feel lower phosphates might not be a bad idea.

-Bioguard Balancer??? Do you even *have* metals??? Is this a problem?? If not, I'd toss it. If you don't know, you can hold off till you do?

-OMG ditch the Super Shimmer and Shine! We never recommend clarifiers. They muck up your filter something awful.

-Algaecide....no! no! no! This product contains ammonia.....bad! very, very bad!

-Pool Life Defend... two bad products mixed in one. Dump it.

Hope this helps :)

Maddie :flower:

the lithium is good stuff...no real soluble by products ...it was just really expensive, not even sure you can get it anymore since it mostly all goes to batteries now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.