What % to run SWG?

May 21, 2015
Loomis, Ca
I have the ability to run my SWG independent of pump run time (ie, I can run pump longer than the SWG. They are on two different timers). With that said, is there any rules of thought if I should run my SWG less hours and higher %, like 80 or 100%, or is it better to run longer at lower %??

No real difference. It is important to run your pump long enough each day to get at least a couple of turn-overs of water in your pool. Another consideration is if you have solar heating. You probably want to run the pump during the day to warm the pool.

Also you should interlock the pump and SWG operation. The SWG should never run when the pump is not running.

I think the only difference of running high percentage over short time versus low % over longer time would be the possibility the chlorine drops to low due to a demand on the shorter time period. 50% over 2 hours is the same to the cell as 20% over 5 hours.

Hayward in fact says you can leave the swg running 24/7 while pump only runs 12 hours. The flow switch tells it to power down when no flow exists and fires back up once flow starts again.

Hayward in fact says you can leave the swg running 24/7 while pump only runs 12 hours. The flow switch tells it to power down when no flow exists and fires back up once flow starts again.

While this may be true, it is not a good practice. If the switch should fail, you could end up creating chlorine with no place to go. Not a good thing at all!

The Hayward manual specifically says that the SWCG is to be wired so that if the pump does not have power (or not running) the SWCG should not have power either.

I will grant you that the flow switch will shut it off, but it is contrary to all safety rules. The flow switch is supposed to be a back up safety device.. The power being removed when the pump is not running is the primary safety device.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Called Hayward and that is what they said. The cell will not get power unless the flow switch sees flow, or on other words connects the electrical. Those flow switches only complete the electrical connection with flow. That connection than let's the motherboard supply power to the cell after 30 seconds of flow.

Called Hayward and that is what they said. The cell will not get power unless the flow switch sees flow, or on other words connects the electrical. Those flow switches only complete the electrical connection with flow. That connection than let's the motherboard supply power to the cell after 30 seconds of flow.

Chemnut,

Please re-read my comments above. Yes, it will work, but it is not safe and does not comply with Hayward's installation instructions which say to remove power to the control center when the pump is off.

You can wire your system whatever way you desire, that is perfectly fine with us, but please do not make posts telling other members how to do it wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.