What % to have on skimmer and main drain suction valves?

Gottabewet

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Hudson Vally NY
I was swimming yesterday and noticed a lot of pollen and surface Crud from the windy day we had. The surface Crud did not seem to be making it over to the skimmers inlets as fast as I thought it should. My pool install was a nightmare so Im figuring out things through real trial and error. So I went to pool station and there are the two dials for the valves that control the suction from the main drain for one dial and the skimmer for the other dial. They were set so the skimmers were doing very little, and evidently the main drain had most of the suction? How much should be suctioning back to the pool station through each valve. I was tempted to maybe have the skimmers at like 75% and then the main drain at 25%. And by percectage I mean I would kind of gauge where 75% compared to where the off position is. Some guidance on this would be very helpful.

Thank you!

wet,

I always opening the main drain about 10% and the skimmer as open as you can.

If you have two skimmers, the far skimmer will have a lot less suction than the near skimmer.. I try to reduce the near skimmer's suction, in an effort to make both skimmers have the same amount of suction.. I take the baskets out and "feel" the suction on each one.

The key to good skimming is a working weir door.. and patience...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Excellent insight. I have 3 skimmers, and the far skimmer gets a lot less suction. How is it possible to manipulate how each skimmer shares suction? My 3 skimmers are unfortunately on the same plumbing run. I will try what you say with the dials. If I make the dial for the main drain at about the 10% mark, is it ok to just have the skimmer dial fully open, or is it important to try and find the 90% mark?

My weir doors need to be adjusted as well. Some stick and are a nuisance. I am truly shocked that something like weir doors, which are constantly rocking back and forth for half the year in my case, look like a cheap design from the dollar store. I really can't believe that weir doors look just like they did 40 years ago when I was kid. I wish there was a way I could install better weir doors. Not sure if its even possible.

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.