Hwmeador

May 8, 2022
Ft worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What does pool maintenance look like in N Texas (FT Worth) through the winter? It doesn’t look like anyone really closes the pool and just runs em year around.

Do I just keep up with normal maintenance and Chlorine? Will my chlorine consumption drop drastically due to the lower temps and non usage of the pool? Is there anything else I need or should be doing to my pool? Can I reduce the pump run time?

Last edited:
Looks like you weather is similar to ours in inland so. Calif. I do just like you said. Reduce run time and keep up with chlorine as usual. Consumption is dropping and will continue to drop, especially with cloudy weather. I never even cover mine. Water gets into the 40s, I still jump in for a quick lap. It never gets below freezing here for more than a few hours so that's not a concern. Watch the CSI, it will be a lot different with low water Temps.

Hw,

I treat my pool the same in the summer as I do the winter with the exception of chlorine. Since I have a SWCG, it quits making chlorine in the winter when the water temp is below 52 degrees, so I use Liquid Chlorine.

You are correct that chlorine consumption goes way down in the winter.

My pump run 24/7/365. I like to skim all the time and I like not having to worry about freeze control.

Reducing your pump run time won't save you much unless you are running your VS pump at very high speeds.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.