Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool had to be raised on one corner about 3 feet above grade. My PB will grade the dirt from the hole down this raised portion (already was a hill) but I am unsure if any grass will grow here. It is mostly clay dumped on top. Is there any chance that seed grass will grow? If I sod the area, is the dirt attached to the sod enough for the lawn to thrive?

I've seen grass that can grow on a brick, I'm sure there's something that will work. I know that we planted sod over the rocks and clay at our house in Alabama and it grew fine. So I would think it should be fine.

ok this is coming from a kid who grew up in a landscaping family. if it were my father or grandfather doing the grass they would scrape 6 inches of final grade off and replace it with topsoil. (a mix of riverbed/ swamp drudge with mushroom mulch mixed in is what they always used and I have also only for my yard). reason being is what grass needs most is root growth. without thick roots grass burns easier and dies in the heat easier. with a deep root system it can hold water and moisture better and also tolerate drier hot times. i can prove this right in my parents yard. there is a section that i know the topsoil isn't as deep and there is more clay hardpan there. grass always burns first in the heat and requires more water. i also went through the same thing this summer with my neighbors french drain. it was topped with just hardpan dirt nothing grew or would burn up. we removed it and added 4 inches of good topsoil. green as could be now. a good topsoil will also hold moisture way more than a cheaper topsoil or clay. my yard and my parents yard will still be moist multiple days later than a yard without topsoil.

will it cost more, yes, but you will have a stronger lawn. whether you do seed or sod it applies. sod just gets u there quicker.

you also have to remember the type seed you are planting. ya if you plant fescue tap or short or red, whatever it will grow easier in any kinda dirt vs blue grass. blue is more delicate and can't take as much heat and dry dirt.

ok this is coming from a kid who grew up in a landscaping family. if it were my father or grandfather doing the grass they would scrape 6 inches of final grade off and replace it with topsoil. (a mix of riverbed/ swamp drudge with mushroom mulch mixed in is what they always used and I have also only for my yard). reason being is what grass needs most is root growth. without thick roots grass burns easier and dies in the heat easier. with a deep root system it can hold water and moisture better and also tolerate drier hot times. i can prove this right in my parents yard. there is a section that i know the topsoil isn't as deep and there is more clay hardpan there. grass always burns first in the heat and requires more water. i also went through the same thing this summer with my neighbors french drain. it was topped with just hardpan dirt nothing grew or would burn up. we removed it and added 4 inches of good topsoil. green as could be now. a good topsoil will also hold moisture way more than a cheaper topsoil or clay. my yard and my parents yard will still be moist multiple days later than a yard without topsoil.

will it cost more, yes, but you will have a stronger lawn. whether you do seed or sod it applies. sod just gets u there quicker.

you also have to remember the type seed you are planting. ya if you plant fescue tap or short or red, whatever it will grow easier in any kinda dirt vs blue grass. blue is more delicate and can't take as much heat and dry dirt.

Thanks! We are most likely going to sod the area. The sod guy says he always pins the sod to the ground if it is on a slope. Should I have him put the 6" of topsoil even with the sod or is the sod thick enough to get it going?

Also for a sanity check, he charges $1.40/sq foot for the sod. That is the sod and labor to install it. Is that a decent price?

I would scrape down 6 inches and add topsoil. My grandfather and dad only liked to do sod. And it still was always but on 6 inches of topsoil for root growth. Most landscapers will say 2-4 inches is enough but they always wanted it tho cl. If I could show you my root base when we took out my grass before the pool you would be surprised. When we pulled up the grass we were taking 8 to 10 inches of roots. Grass was only 5 years old. I am also sitting on 12 inches of topsoil throughout my yard. I opted for all topsoil vs fill and topsoil cause of the prices I could get. The more topsoil u give the grass the better and the more moisture u can capture and the more root base u can get.

Again just my my opinion but I will say when it's dry and hot my grass is pure green. Yes I water but so do my neighbors. Thier yards are not.

I would go go with a sod that is mostly 90 percent blue and 10 percent perennial and annual rye. No fescue. You should be able to get that being in Maryland. Our sod always came out of jersey I know.

with that setup, lots of water, fertilize every 6 weeks vs 8 weeks, don't use scotts. Find a local landscape space and get thier feed fertilizer only with 10 percent iron and Go to it! You should only have to use a weed and feed if u have weeds bit if you get that sod thick enough and keep it at 3 inches u will never get a weed. I haven't done a week and feed ever! Only crab grass control at beginning of season then feed after feed all season.

I would scrape down 6 inches and add topsoil. My grandfather and dad only liked to do sod. And it still was always but on 6 inches of topsoil for root growth. Most landscapers will say 2-4 inches is enough but they always wanted it tho cl. If I could show you my root base when we took out my grass before the pool you would be surprised. When we pulled up the grass we were taking 8 to 10 inches of roots. Grass was only 5 years old. I am also sitting on 12 inches of topsoil throughout my yard. I opted for all topsoil vs fill and topsoil cause of the prices I could get. The more topsoil u give the grass the better and the more moisture u can capture and the more root base u can get.

Again just my my opinion but I will say when it's dry and hot my grass is pure green. Yes I water but so do my neighbors. Thier yards are not.

I would go go with a sod that is mostly 90 percent blue and 10 percent perennial and annual rye. No fescue. You should be able to get that being in Maryland. Our sod always came out of jersey I know.

with that setup, lots of water, fertilize every 6 weeks vs 8 weeks, don't use scotts. Find a local landscape space and get thier feed fertilizer only with 10 percent iron and Go to it! You should only have to use a weed and feed if u have weeds bit if you get that sod thick enough and keep it at 3 inches u will never get a weed. I haven't done a week and feed ever! Only crab grass control at beginning of season then feed after feed all season.

That's 45+ cubic feet of topsoil. Yiikes! We'll see I asked my landscaper how much to do it. Might do just 4" that's 30 yards.

if you can do 4 that will be perfect! lots of water and proper fertilizer program. look for a john deer landscaping place out by you. you should have one around you. if not you can deff find a landscaper distribution house that you can buy from. they usually let people buy. john deer's stuff is from lasco. they have a feed that is 10% iron added. it is awesome. same thing they use of golf greens and fairways. your lawn will glow! just keep bombing it every 6 weeks. weed and feed only when you have weeds you can't pull by hand. but with thick sod you should have no weeds if cared for properly. i will tell you sod weeds up quicker than seep for some reason if not cared for. but a yard is just like we all do here for our pool. consistent attention and proper attention and all is good!

lol when i did my front yard I brought in 12 tri-axles to get me my 8-10 inches for all my plant beds and lawn. back yard and side was 15. ya dirt is expensive. especially stuff that is mixed with compost/mulch product.

you can see. my sprinklers run 3 times a week. my neighbor has been watering everyday. we both follow the exact same fertilizer program that I made for us. he has 2 inches or whatever.

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8841 by Jim, on Flickr

best of luck! any help i can do just drop me a PM or here!
jim

Thanks! All gone now! Pool there. Next year the company we got the swing set from has to move it 8 feet. Stinks we have to but I need the room! Or my kids Will be smashing their faces off the fence coming down the slide. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have struggled with grass after the build for a while. I live I annapolis area and have almost all sand. My big problem is most likely dogs but I have tried to do what I can in stages. I can say the area I had larger amount of top soil have done much better and around the immediate area of the pool I used sod and a type called RTF which is a thicker blade type fescue that tends to spread well. But due to price I switched to seed on other areas and I might as well put dollar bills on the ground. So I agree sod is the way and around the concrete by the pool it does well.

I am now changing though to zoysia sod for other areas. Again doing it in stages for cost. But zoysia grows great around here and in full sun, which is what I got.

I feel your pain Pool gate. But Jim is write you need some good top soil.

Zoysia. I haven't heard that grass in a while. I somehow got some in my front yard I have to remove and replant. It's starting to spread and it is very invasive. Just doesn't match with a 100 percent blue grass yard. It is nice though. Very drought resistant.

Zoysia. I haven't heard that grass in a while. I somehow got some in my front yard I have to remove and replant. It's starting to spread and it is very invasive. Just doesn't match with a 100 percent blue grass yard. It is nice though. Very drought resistant.

True it doesn't match, but is grown here on a local farm. It does very well here. Less maintenance in the long run.

True it doesn't match, but is grown here on a local farm. It does very well here. Less maintenance in the long run.

Yes definitely agree with you it is very carefree. Don't be afraid to seef either as long as you install it the right way and water religiously twice today and more when it's hot 90% of the seed will germinate. One of the biggest things is using a nice thick layer of straw. I also air raid for the first three years and over seed each of those years. After that there's never a reaslm to air raid or thatch unless u don't bag when cutting. Like I said every person that is ever stopped and asked me about my grass has asked where I got my sod. But it's seed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.