What to do with bucket of wet CYA?

Jun 26, 2014
Austin, Texas
I screwed up and now have 3 lbs of formerly dry CYA, now wet in a plastic bucket. I don’t have a use for it now. What can I do with it?

How did I end up with this problem? I was opening the pool after is sat for nearly a year. The chlorine and CYA were both low (like zero) and all I could find to add CYA was Dichlor so I used that until chlorine was very high but my CYA was still less than 30.

Mistake: I only waited one day between adding Dichlor and testing CYA.

It took a week to get dry CYA via mail order. When it arrived I hung 3 lbs in a cloth bag in the deep end. As soon as it went in the water I realized I should test once more, and sure enough CYA was already 50+. Three pounds would put it over 80 so I pulled the bag and dumped the wet CYA in an old plastic container with a lid.

Can I store it this way for future use? Seems risky to me, a bucket of CYA slush.

Can I let it dry out an return to its former dry state?

Dilute and disperse in an environmentally safe way?

Suggestions?

Does your county or city have a hazardous household waste drop off ? My area does and they take old or damaged pool chemicals as long it is labeled properly.

You could let it dry out but it will likely turn into a solid block of CYA. It doesn’t sound like you’ll be using it so I would find out if you have a local disposal option.

If you let it sit with no chlorine bacteria will consume it. I experience this phenomenon every winter when I stop chlorinating the pool after the water reaches below 60 degrees or so. Within a couple of weeks all the CYA is gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.