What to do when pump has to be off for a few days?

Mar 27, 2017
Syracuse, New York
Got the pool open last weekend, and this week getting the heater installed. Electrician has to spread work over two days, not back to back, and the pump will be without power during that time.

What can I do to make sure the water stays okay without filtering for those few days?

Too cold to swim anyways, but want to make sure...

Got the pool open last weekend, and this week getting the heater installed. Electrician has to spread work over two days, not back to back, and the pump will be without power during that time.

What can I do to make sure the water stays okay without filtering for those few days?

Too cold to swim anyways, but want to make sure...
It's most important that you maintain the chemistry of the pool.

Next you'll need a way to circulate the water. You can rent a submersible pump, and use that to keep the water moving, or thoroughly brush the pool a couple of times each day, especially after adding any chemicals.

If you have a sump pump you can put in to circulate the water and chems do that, if not brushing well after daily chlorine adds should do the trick to mix the chlorine and keep the water sanitized. Filtering is largely about water clarity while chlorine is largely about sanitation. You can get away with out filtering much longer than you can without sanitation.

Buy a cheapo Intex cartridge system and just hang the hoses into the pool. You might have to prime it since it's designed for above ground pools, but once you get it running, just keep it on 24x7.

What is the water temp? If it's around 50 probably nothing will happen,
but you could dump in a gallon of bleach in the deep end, spread around
the perimeter then brush the pool to stir it around.

What is the water temp? If it's around 50 probably nothing will happen,
but you could dump in a gallon of bleach in the deep end, spread around
the perimeter then brush the pool to stir it around.

As of typing this, its 57.6 degrees. Nice sunny day, it got up to 60.5 yesterday in the sun. I'd say averaging low 50's.

As of last night, FC was 7.5, CC was 0 - CYA is 60. Was planning measuring FC again tonight and added some bleach.

I don't think I want to buy a piece of equipment, so if the consensus is that keeping it sanitized, and spreading chemicals by brushing, will do the trick for a cold pool for a couple of days - that's probably what I do.

These forums are awesome... thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.