What to do if I can't find chlorine?

Post a full set of test results.

It is very likely that you can use a combination of tricolor pucks in a floater and then switch over to cal hypo until bleach/LC becomes more available.

I would say open sooner rather than later. You don’t want that pool turning into a swamp as that will make fixing it that much harder given short supplies.

Post some pictures of what your water looks like now and a set of test results. Then you can be better informed.

Haven't tested, but it's clear (and still covered). Never had a problem opening a clear pool (since I found TFP).

But you're right, I should open sooner rather than later.

Many people are using this panic-related shortage to opt for an SWG. They are expensive upfront but the economics are such that it's basically equivalent to pre-buying all the liquid chlorine you'd ever use over the life of the SWG. It might be worthwhile to consider the upgrade ...

Many people are using this panic-related shortage to opt for an SWG. They are expensive upfront but the economics are such that it's basically equivalent to pre-buying all the liquid chlorine you'd ever use over the life of the SWG. It might be worthwhile to consider the upgrade ...

Just trying to milk one more year (9) out of my above ground pool. Should have added a SWG when I put it up :(

Thanks.

Amazon has granular trichlor (Clorox brand) for a reasonable price if you don't mind the CYA addition. Also found In The Swim brand Cal-Hypo powder for a reasonable price too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Found some at Home Depot.

Twice the price of liquid chlorine last year.
Yes! :(
The cheapest liquid I can find this year is the 6% stuff at Walmart...when they have it. Given the current promotions at Doheny's and In The Swim, Walmart bleech is currently my most expensive source of Cl. For my 17,500 cal pool, the cost per ppm is currently:

bleach $0.77
calcium hypo ("shock") $0.60
trichlor $0.32
(didn't calculate dichlor, but I think it's still the most expensive)
Trichlor is always the cheapest, but this is the first time that cal hypo is cheaper than bleach for me and I have plenty of calcium alkalinity "headroom" to use it for awhile, if necessary.

I'm still increasing my CYA before I bring my new SWG online, so trichlor is what I'm using for now. Based on the SWG operating cost estimates that I did last year (electricity + cell replacement), trichlor might very well be cheaper than my SWG but, as everyone here knows, the CYA buildup becomes the limiting factor in using it.

My pool store still has Hasa chlorine in returnable containers for the same price as always. Are some states labeling pool stores as non-essential? That would be really stupid considering what a mosquito breeding disaster they could have on their hands if pool owners can't maintain their pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.