What to do after I refill my pool?

JT2006 said:
So I bought all the stuff they recommended and followed the instructions they gave me to add it.

1. Added metal free
Why add the metal free? Are you using well water or something to fill with?
2. Added stain and scale remover
Does acid washing a pool not remove stains and scale?
3. 4hrs later added 2 gallons of liquid CYA
I've read this exists, but is pricey and I've never run into it. Do you recall the price? There are times I've wished I had liquid. I don't know if it takes a week to register on the tests like the granules do... anyone know?
4. Half and hour later added 2lbs of chlor-brite granular chlorine
Bleach is cheaper I bet

So the last night we had a storm roll in and it rained HARD all night so I decided to use my test kit for the first time and test the water. I'm using the FAS-DPD kit from Leslie's recommended here
I've never noticed anyone recommend one from Leslies- Is that something new? I swear by my TF-100 though!

TA is really high?

I've been doing my daily test for FC and PH and keeping everything in balance (so I thought)

I've been getting a high PH and adding acid as needed

So I just did my weekly complete test and here's what I got

FC: 5.5

CC: 0

PH: 8.5-9

CH: 280-300

TA: 140

CYA: 48

The high TA and PH is what concerns me?? Poolmath says to lower to 7.0-7.2 then aerate?

Just wondering if there's anything else I should do and what causes the TA To get so high?

TA will only go up if you are adding something to raise it (like baking soda) or if you are adding tap water with a high TA.

What are the test results on you tap / refill water?
How are you measuring a pH that high? Have you ever got it down to the mid 7s?

Taking PH down to lower TA

I took the PH down to 7.0 yesterday then the set the valves to aerate on the normal pump cycle during the night.
tested this morning

PH 7.4
TA 120

Added acid to get the PH back down toward 7.0 and again It will aerate tonight

Is this the correct procedure for doing this to lowere the TA?

How long is it safe to keep the PH so low?

Thanks,

JB

Sounds like you are doing it correctly ... although there is rarely a need to actively try to lower the TA. It would come down slowly as you keep the pH in line anyway.

As long as you keep the pH in the mid-7s, you should be generally safe. You likely would not want to keep it below 7.2 indefinitely, but with the active aeration, it does not stay that low for very long.

jblizzle said:
Sounds like you are doing it correctly ... although there is rarely a need to actively try to lower the TA. It would come down slowly as you keep the pH in line anyway.

As long as you keep the pH in the mid-7s, you should be generally safe. You likely would not want to keep it below 7.2 indefinitely, but with the active aeration, it does not stay that low for very long.

Thanks Jason, I will check it when I get home tomorrow morning and adjust as needed.

Heading north with the family tomorrow for 5 days of playing in the snow :whoot:

My plan is to do just about the same thing I did when I left for Thanksgiving,

Increase the Chlorine to 10
Put the flaoter in there with the trichlor tabs
and leave the PH alone

PH was at 7.4 when I checked it yesterday evening
And last complete test I did the CYA was at around 48.

Since the CYA is creeping up should I add the tabs or not. Im thinking a higher CYA would be alot better then the Chlorine getting too low and getting algae...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PH is always high?

I can't figure out why my PH is always so high?

I have been doing a very good job staying on top of everything. checking the pool daily but I usually have to add acid every time because the PH is up to 7.8-8.0?

I know the TA is also a little high but I was told not to be overly concerned about this. But could this be the cause of the constant high PH? I do not aerate the pool in the winter so I know that is not the cause?

Thanks, JB

As the water gets colder, the pH goes up as well.
Could be a combination of that and the slightly high TA.
Just keep at it ... as the water temp drops, it is less important if the pH is a little higher than normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.