Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Moved from here.
I'm bumping this post. What is everyone backfilling with? Dirt from the hole, sand, gravel? My manufacturer recommends concrete slurry but I'm not burying it all the way - only going 2' . I've heard bac things about using gravel and sand because it can shift during a liner change. The only thing left is native soil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved from here.
I'm bumping this post. What is everyone backfilling with? Dirt from the hole, sand, gravel? My manufacturer recommends concrete slurry but I'm not burying it all the way - only going 2' . I've heard bac things about using gravel and sand because it can shift during a liner change. The only thing left is native soil.
I just replied to your old post- we are mostly buried like u & just went with our dirt filling & stomping & then filling some more as it settled after every rain. We have had some shifting of our cove in one spot near a deck support but I believe it’s because we should have waited for more settling to take place before adding our deck. My father in law showed up w/ wood & just started building so I wasn’t about to turn him away

Reactions: Nathan8372
Mine is buried about 3 feet on one side. I ended up using gravel as I had relocated all the dirt to fill in a low spot in my yard. I just installed my pool last summer so not sure of the longevity of the solution. Only thing I wish I would've done is put some drain tile at the bottom to divert the water to the other side of the pool. Had a really heavy rain at the end of the season and could tell the water kind of sat there but doesn't look like it washed away any of my sand base.

I think you could get away with anything but might want to follow manufacturer recommendations to try to prolong the life of the pool.

When it comes time to do the liner I will probably roll the dice and drain it slowly and see what happens.. I am getting a deck installed there this summer so will be hard to shovel the gravel out. I also thought that gravel would be easier to shovel out as opposed to dirt to change the liner.

Mine is buried about 3 feet on one side. I ended up using gravel as I had relocated all the dirt to fill in a low spot in my yard. I just installed my pool last summer so not sure of the longevity of the solution. Only thing I wish I would've done is put some drain tile at the bottom to divert the water to the other side of the pool. Had a really heavy rain at the end of the season and could tell the water kind of sat there but doesn't look like it washed away any of my sand base.

I think you could get away with anything but might want to follow manufacturer recommendations to try to prolong the life of the pool.

When it comes time to do the liner I will probably roll the dice and drain it slowly and see what happens.. I am getting a deck installed there this summer so will be hard to shovel the gravel out. I also thought that gravel would be easier to shovel out as opposed to dirt to change the liner.
Same - wish I would’ve added drainage. Praying my liner lasts a good long while.

What kind of drainage woudl you use / how would you do it?
A perforated drain pipe in a ditch w/ gravel around the entire pool to down the hill. I likely will be doing this in the future- also my backfill wasn’t fully settled before my deck was put up so one of my deck supports has shifted. My father in law showed up w/ wood to build it so I couldn’t really turn him away. I am going to have to pull up some deck boards to repair that & will do the drainage then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had an AGP for almost 20 years that was buried about 2.5 ft around the back side, the yard slopes around the front to the low side being level yard. We had back filled with native dirt and when the older pool saw its last days and we drained it, the backfilled dirt remained pretty solid like a wall for the 3 years we waited to purchase new pool. We also did a liner change once and had zero issues of wall caving. I definitely would not use gravel or sand as backfill. We replaced AGP last summer with new, and didn’t want to have dirt and grass growing against the pool walls again. New pool is meant to be semi buried if preferred. Suggested backfill is slurry mix. Anyone done this yet and have stories to tell, advice, or pictures to show? I can’t imagine this, and am heavily considering retaining wall instead. We already dug trench and installed French drain completely around pool bottom last summer.

We had an AGP for almost 20 years that was buried about 2.5 ft around the back side, the yard slopes around the front to the low side being level yard. We had back filled with native dirt and when the older pool saw its last days and we drained it, the backfilled dirt remained pretty solid like a wall for the 3 years we waited to purchase new pool. We also did a liner change once and had zero issues of wall caving. I definitely would not use gravel or sand as backfill. We replaced AGP last summer with new, and didn’t want to have dirt and grass growing against the pool walls again. New pool is meant to be semi buried if preferred. Suggested backfill is slurry mix. Anyone done this yet and have stories to tell, advice, or pictures to show? I can’t imagine this, and am heavily considering retaining wall instead. We already dug trench and installed French drain completely around pool bottom last summer.
I've backfilled a bit - some extra sand my neighbor had - but I put down landscape fabric between the pool wall and the sand / dirt to hopefully give it some sort of barrier over the years. we'll see how it turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.