What the heck is in my pool?!?

I’m hoping this video will post correctly. I noticed some white stuff floating on top of my pool water a couple days ago, so I turned on the pool filter and didn’t think twice about it. Today I noticed considerably more of it across most of the pool in patches. I thought maybe pollen... but in December? So I decided to investigate tonight, only to discover this stuff seems to be alive and jumping. (Ick!)

The water is is freezing cold (which means probably around 50-degrees to those of us in the Los Angeles area) so I can’t imagine what would be in that water! And the pool filters 6 hours every night, so I can’t imagine why there’s even more of this white stuff floating on the water than when i first saw it 2 days ago.

Here's the clip:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c6YWtZs9JwiDkE0g-RGTTIUw#Home

So, two questions... what is it?!? And how do I get rid of it?!?

PS - We also had some rain over the weekend, which seems to make potatoes bugs come out of hiding and leap into my pool. (I don't know why!) So I also found a potato bug in the pool with a bunch this white stuff around it. I thought maybe baby potato bugs? But no, that’s not what potato bug larvae look like, and they don't hop around, so I'm back to having no idea.

Also I'm adding another picture, since the video doesn't seem to be working for most. (The video shows these white dots hopping around...)
IMG_0480 (004).jpg

Attachments

• D7B27EB9-5B67-4D00-AE7E-19E15656CCA3.jpg
    D7B27EB9-5B67-4D00-AE7E-19E15656CCA3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Pool bugs.jpg
    Pool bugs.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Your video is not loading for me.

I thought it wasn't loading for me also. Then I clicked on the image in the lower left to access the video. Larger image is apparently a single image.

No idea what those "jumpers" are....

CM,

We have things like this happen, almost always after a lot of rain. Most common are these huge clumps of ants but do get others that look like the video. Usually I just get in the pool and coax them into the skimmer. Sometimes my filter is a bug larvae graveyard!

Good luck!

Chris

Is this pool properly chlorinated?

Great question! I pay a service to come out every week to clean and maintain the pool, so in theory, yes. In fact, I keep having to learn more and more about pool maintenance because either they don't do their job - or don't know how to do their job. I called them yesterday about this particular problem and they said they would come over and shock the pool today, but didn't mention if the water had been tested lately, or if it was in balance.

but didn't mention if the water had been tested lately, or if it was in balance.

Sometimes (often, actually) their defiinition of "in balance" and ours if quite different. They're looking to keep the water clear until the next week, ours is to have clear sanitary water as well as protecting our pool surface and equipment for the life of the pool.

The only way to know the health of your pool is for you, yourself, to do the testing. And to not allow them carte blanche when it comes to putting just anything in your water.

I'd suggest you obtain one of the test kits we endorse (See Pool School article --> Pool School - Test Kits Compared ) and monitor the water yourself even if you want to continue to use a pool service. (I like the TF-100 best, which is also the best buy)

Maddie :flower:

Yay! I just heard from a Certified Entomologist at Greenleaf Pest that these are springtails! Here's more info, in case anyone else ever needs to know:

At a minuscule 1/16 of an inch long, you would think that a springtail is such a tiny creature that you wouldn't even notice him. Unfortunately, springtails travel in packs, creating biomasses large enough to disturb you, especially when clumps of them are floating in your pool. These small insects huddle together in moist areas, eating decaying materials and jumping high into the air when disturbed. They love moisture, and often find their way into swimming pools where they float on top of the water like small oil slicks. Skimming your pool will remove them. To prevent them, you'll need to turn off your pool lights, clean up pool surfaces and remove mulch or other wet materials from around your pool.

Springtails are small white, blue, gray or black creatures that hang out together in small swarms. They have no wings, but they do have a tail-like body part called the furcula that tucks under their abdomens. When disturbed, springtails quickly lower this furcula to launch themselves several inches into the air. Because they have no wings, they can't get back out of your swimming pool once they find their way in. Instead, they float on top of the water, creating an unappealing vibe.

Skimming the surface of the pool will get rid of the pests, but it won't necessarily kill them. To do that, fill a spray bottle with water and add a bit of dish soap. Spray the edges of the pool with the mixture and add a few squirts into the pool water. Doing so changes the surface tension of the water and causes the springtails to drown. You'll still need to skim the pool and get a little help from your pool filter to get rid of them, but at least bugs won't jump in your face or swarm you if you disturb them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.