What sort of DE filter cleaner should be used when on chlorine?

One other thing about my AG DE filter and chlorine and it was always strange to me. My pressure gauge never really moved up in pressure with either DE or perlite. It maybe went up a lb or two but what gave it away that it was loaded with debris was the flow. I would notice that the flow just wasn't as powerful as it was. I would "bump" the grids, restart the pump and the flow would be normal; when it wasn't I changed out the DE.

My pressure gauge never really moved up in pressure with either DE or perlite. It maybe went up a lb or two but what gave it away that it was loaded with debris was the flow.
Interesting. I have a pretty direct correlation between filter pressure increase (4-5 psi above starting pressure) and a noticeable reduction in flow. Most surprisingly, my pressure dropped today from 20 back down to 17. Didn't see that coming, since usually once it hits 20 that's the point of no return and followed by having to backwash within the next day or two. But, hey, I'll take it. Let 'er ride for 3 more weeks and then done for the season.

Even with chlorine? I seem to recall people saying here that their filter cycles can - and frequently do - go much longer. 4 weeks on a DE cycle (or actually a bit less) is what I used to get years ago with baqua. Just not sure what changed.
The pressure on the filter went up by 25% so it was time to do backwashing. The length of time varied depending on the weather and swimmers load. Anyway, since in New Jersey the season is about 3 months long, I backwashed only once per year :)

Interesting. I have a pretty direct correlation between filter pressure increase (4-5 psi above starting pressure) and a noticeable reduction in flow. Most surprisingly, my pressure dropped today from 20 back down to 17. Didn't see that coming, since usually once it hits 20 that's the point of no return and followed by having to backwash within the next day or two. But, hey, I'll take it. Let 'er ride for 3 more weeks and then done for the season.
There were times I thought the gauge might be broken but it was like that from brand new and yes brand new can be broken. I kept reading that filter pressure goes up when a filter gets loaded but mine never did even when flow was way down. I did try catching it before it became a "trickle" compared to what it normally was and usually did but sometimes life got in the way! :ROFLMAO:

Sort of ironic how I mentioned yesterday that there's a direct correlation between increased pressure and reduced flow. Yesterday I was sort of proved wrong. Pressure was up to 20 (usually considerably reduced at that point) and yet it was still quite good. Yesterday ended around 20 and now this morning at 18.5. So I'll just let it dance around between 17-20+ until the flow does seem to be greatly reduced. Today marks a week since putting in the other set of grids - cause to celebrate I suppose compared to June's 3-4 day cycles that lasted the entire month until mid-July.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.