What size pump and salt water generator?

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
My pool is somewhere between 9000-10,000 gallons. I have a vintage Hayward pump that is leaking and needs some other parts. This seems like a good time to make the switch.

What size salt water generator should I get and also pump size? Brand and vendor recommendations? I recall someone a while back talking about Discount Saltwater Pool as being a good choice from which to buy. Is that a good option, or is there a better one?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Circupool is an option. They have SWCG and pumps. Some of the pumps are set up with a relay so that your SWCG will not be powered when the pump is running. Are you thinking of a VS pump?

Gold standard is Pentair VS pumps.

Other options are Inyopools, Hayward, etc. All make quality products. Cost varies.

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
I am not thinking of a specific brand. So, everything I have learned here has been spot on, so I am asking here before making a decision

I have friends that have had pools for years and struggle with their water. I do it exactly the trouble free way and my water is always clear year round. I fixed my skimmer leak the way I was told here with Rezolin for about $27. I was able to repair my current filter and pump for a small sum by doing exactly what I learned here. One thing is clear to me after listening to my friends pool horror stories and my experience here, I won’t make a move until I come here and get advice. I am so grateful for this site and its vast resources. Pool school is amazing, as well as, the search feature.

mguzzy

Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Well there are a bunch of questions that come to mind that will narrow you down to some choices... I assume all repair options on your existing equipment are exhausted or you are just ready to replace it.
-Do you already have or want automation? If so you are much better off going with the same manufacturer for everything.
-Consider putting in a VS pump.. much more energy efficient and worth the extra cost in the long run. Some states require VS pumps with upgrades.
-What gizmos will be attached to your pump, water features etc.
-Do you plan on adding anything down the road, so you can plan for upgrades.
-What's the arrangement of your pool equipment. Sometimes that will dictate what you can add to it if you have limited space or some other contraints
-What else do you want to upgrade at the same time? For example when I did my SWG conversion, the existing pool equipment was 15 yrs old and shot. So I replaced everything, pumps, filters, heater, and added the SWG. That was almost 20 years ago and its still plugging along.
-And of course what's your budget!
I'm sure I forgot something.. but that will get you started.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I did not answer on the size of SWCG. At least 2X your pool volume, though, in your climate, I would go bigger. Get one that will put at least 1 lb chlorine gas per day. That typically equates to one rated for a 30k gallon pool. Or bigger.

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
I am not planning to add any other features besides the saltwater generator. The pump and filter were put in back in 1993. The filter is a Hayward sand filter. I replaced the sand and multi port with the help of some folks here. See my thread on that. The old old was duct taped together when I bought the house.

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
I am not planning to add any other features besides the saltwater generator. The pump and filter were put in back in 1993. The filter is a Hayward sand filter. I replaced the sand and multi port with the help of some folks here. See my thread on that. The old old was duct taped together when I bought the house.
Now it's time to support TFP.
HERE'S THE LINK, THANK YOU